Configuring release rules
You use the Release Configuration Rules form to configure the method of assignment used to automatically select a release coordinator to assign to a release request. Each company defined in the Company form can have its own assignment rules.
You can configure assignment for one company, or you can define it for all companies using the Global option. When Release Management uses assignment (for example, when assigning a release to a release coordinator), the Assignment Engine first checks the assignment rules for the requester's company. If no rules are found, it then uses the rules defined for Global.
By default, the Global assignment method follows the Round Robin assignment process.
To configure release rules
- In the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Release Management > Advanced Options > Rules, and then click Open.
- From the Company list, select the company for which you want to configure assignment, or select the Global option.
Selecting Global configures assignment for all companies.
- For RMS Rule Status, select Enabled.
Complete the following optional fields as required:
Assignment Engine Integration
To enable assignment, select Yes (default).
Assignment Process Name
Select the default process for the release coordinator assignment. The options for assigning releases to release coordinators are as follows:
- Capacity—Capacity in the assignment engine is a ratio-based assignment method.
- Number—Tracks the number of tickets assigned to the person. The number assignment process selects the release coordinator with the least number of tickets already assigned.
- Round Robin—Tracks the last time the release coordinator received an assignment. The round robin assignment process selects the person who was least recently assigned an incident.
Require Service CI Related
Select whether users must specify a Service CI (from the Service field) when creating a release request. The default is No.
If you specify Yes in the Require Service CI Related field, select the milestone by which the Service CI must be related.
Require Scheduled Dates
Select if users must specify the scheduled start dates (in the Dates tab) when creating a release request. The options are No (the default setting) and Yes.
If you specify Yes in the Require Scheduled Dates field, select the milestone by which the scheduled start date must be defined.
For example, you could configure the release rules so that users must enter the scheduled start date during the Initiate milestone.
Specify whether release requests are automatically closed. The options are No and Yes (the default setting).
If you specify that release requests are automatically closed, enter the number of days a release request remains in the Close Down milestone before its status is automatically set to Closed. The default setting is 10.
Action On Deployment Dates Change
Specify the action to be taken when users modify the deployment start date and the release request is in the In Progress status during the Deployment milestone.
The options are Error Message, Warning Message, or No Action. No out-of-the-box settings are provided with this field.
Business Hours Selection
Specify whether to use company hours or assignee hours to calculate times associated with release requests.
Important: You must perform the Business Hours Workdays and Business Hours Holidays configuration tasks to set the company's daily hours and holidays.
- Click Save.