Creating variable templates
Use the following steps to create a predefined variable template.
If sample data has been installed, you might want to search for existing variable definitions to modify.
To create a variable template
- On the IT Home page, click the Application Administration Console link.
- On the Application Administration Console, click the Custom Configuration tab.
- From the Application Settings list, choose Task Management System> Task Configuration> Variable Template, and then click Open.
On the Variable Template form, fill in the required fields.
The name to assign to the variable
The company to which this task template applies. Select Global if the variable applies to all companies.
The type of variable you are defining. The options are Local, Global, and System.
Note: After you have created and saved a variable template, you cannot change its variable type.
The status of the variable. The options are as follows:
- Active — Enables the template for use during the execution stage
- Inactive — Deactivates the template. Inactive objects cannot be used at runtime. Usually, you set an object to Inactive when it is no longer used at runtime, but might be needed again in the future. When it is needed again, you can reset it to Active.
- Potential — Puts the template into inactive status. You can design the template without activating it.
Template Category Tier 1
(Version 8.1.01 and later)
Select the Template Category Tier 1 categorization from the associated field menu. The content of the Template Category Tier 1 menu corresponds to the installed BMC Remedy IT Service Management applications for which you can create tasks. The menu is populated by the active records in the Integration Configuration form. For information about integrations, see Configuring integrations.
Starting with Version 8.1.01, you can categorize task templates under a three tier hierarchy. The tiers help you to organize related templates. The Tier 1 categorization is mandatory, while Tier 2 and Tier 3 (which are described in the Optional Fields table) are optional.
- Change Management System -> VM -> Provision
- Change Management System -> VM -> Extend
Fill in the optional fields.
The application to which group of templates this one belongs. The menu is data-driven by active records in the Integration Configuration form. For information, see Configuring integrations.
An optional subcategory description
A description of the variable template's function or any other helpful text for future administrators and designers
The data value that you want the variable to store by default. You can leave this field empty.
Template Category Tier 2 (Version 8.1.01 later)
Create or select the appropriate template Tier 2 categorization.
- To create a Template Category Tier 2 categorization, type the category name in the Template Category Tier 2 field. When you save the template, the category name is also saved and added to the field's selection list, where it is available to select when you create the next template.
- To select a Template Category Tier 2 categorization, open the Template Category Tier 2 field menu and select the categorization.
Template Category Tier 3 (Version 8.1.01 and later)
Create or select the appropriate Template Tier 3 categorization.
To do this, use the same method described for creating or selecting Template Category Tier 2.
- Click Save.