Configuring the Email Rule Engine
This section provides information about configuring the Email Rule Engine to enable the creation and update of the following BMC Remedy ITSM application records by email:
- Create and add work information for incident requests, work orders, and change requests
- Add work information only for problem investigations, known errors, and tasks
To configure email rules, you must meet the following prerequisites:
BMC Remedy Email Engine must be installed on your system.
You must have Email Rule Config permissions (which are Foundation-related permissions).
For information about configuring mailboxes, see in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
You can provide Email Rule Config permissions by clicking Update Permission Group on the People form, and then selecting Email Rule Config from the Permission Group+ list in the Permission Group form.
If you are creating an application request by using email, one of the following conditions must be met:
- Your email address must be recorded in the Email Address field of your People form record.
You must have login ID defined, if email is chosen as default mechanism of notification.
If your email address is not recorded in the People form, your email address must be configured as a trusted email address in the Email Rule Engine, and one of the email addresses existing in the People form must be configured as a trusted recipient. For more information, see Configuring trusted email addresses and recipients. In the case of a trusted email address, the request or the work order information is created by the trusted recipient on behalf of your trusted email address.
Details of the submitter email address and the trusted recipient are displayed in the Notes field of the request form.
For an overview of the email application request feature, see Record creation and updates by email.
Email Rule Engine configuration process
The process of configuring the Email Rule Engine consists of the following tasks:
- Configuring the Excluded Subjects list
- Configuring the Email Rule Engine use cases
- Enabling the Email Rule Engine
- Configuring assignments
- When you create a ticket using the Email Rule Engine, you must be a valid user or have a trusted email ID to add information to the Work Info field.
- When you use the Email Rule Engine for creating or changing a change request, you must have the Change Submitter, User, or Master permissions and for creating a Work Order, you must have the Work Order Submitter, Work Order User, or Work Order Master permissions.