Assigning sequence numbers to dependent change requests
When you create change requests with relationship as dependent, you should specify the sequence in which change requests are to be completed. When you specify a sequence for the dependent change requests, you must complete a change request with the sequence number 0 before you can start a change request with the sequence number 1.
In the following example, you have two related change requests-the change request to update the I/O device software has Dependent relationships to two other change requests.
You cannot assign sequence numbers to release requests. To add sequence numbers to tasks, see Sequence number in task groups and tasks.
To define a dependent change request
- Open the change request to upgrade the operating system, and then click the Relationships tab.
- Select the Dependent change request from the Relationships table.
The default sequence number for the dependent change request is 0.
- Click View.
In the dependent change request, click the Relationships tab.
- In the Sequence field, enter a number (for example, 1).
The sequence number indicates the order in which the dependent change request must be completed relative to the original change request.
- If necessary, add any additional information about the Change form to finish relating the change request.
- Save your work, and then close the change request.
You return to the original change request.
To view the updated sequence number, refresh the table.
The record now shows a sequence of 1. The sequence number indicates the order in which you must complete the current request relative to the dependent request. In this example, you must now complete the change request (sequence 1) to remove the old software before you can start work on installing the new software (sequence 2).
- Save the change request.