Testing the connection to the HP 3PAR SMI-S Provider
The ETL relies on the HP 3PAR SMI-S Provider to collect information about HP 3PAR storage systems. Because some connectivity issues may exist and cause the ETL to fail, it is highly recommended to test the connection to this specific component. The procedure is as follows:
- Download the troubleshooting tool from EPD.
- Run the command java –jar <Troubleshooting_Tool_Name.jar> to launch the tool.
- Enter the information required to connect to the system and click Test Connection.
- Wait for the test to complete.
- If a connectivity issue is detected, an error message will appear. In this case, the issue encountered does not concern the ETL. Check your configuration to diagnose the source of the issue.
- Click Save As to export the connection test results into a txt file.
Customizing volumes monitoring
Discovering volumes and collecting their performance metrics are resource-intensive actions that can create extra workload on the system. To reduce the system resource consumption, administrators can disable or enable the volumes monitoring at will and fine-tune the creation of volume entities into the TrueSight Capacity Optimization environment.
The following metrics are no longer collected and displayed in the console when volumes monitoring is disabled:
- ST_CONFIGURED_VOLUME_CAPACITY_PCT (Storage System Configured Capacity Percentage)
- ST_CONSUMED_CAPACITY (Storage Consumed Capacity)
- ST_CONSUMED_CAPACITY_PCT (Storage Consumed Capacity Percentage)
- ST_DEVICECOUNT (Storage Devices Number)
- ST_DEVICE_TOTAL (Device Space)
- ST_HOSTCNT (Attached Hosts Number)
- ST_OVERSUBSCRIBED_CAPACITY (Storage Oversubscribed Capacity)
- ST_POOL_DEV_COUNT (Pool Devices Count)
- ST_POOL_OVERSUBSCRIPTION_SITUATION (Pool Oversubscription Situation)
- ST_POOL_SUBSCRIBED_CAPACITY (Pool Subscribed Capacity)
- ST_POOL_SUBSCRIBED_CAPACITY_PCT (Pool Subscribed Capacity Percentage)
- ST_PRIMARY_ALLOCATED (Primary Allocated Usable Space)
- ST_SYSTEM_SUBSCRIBED_CAPACITY (Storage Subscribed Capacity)
- ST_THINDEV_COUNT (Thin Devices Count)
- ST_VOLUME_CONSUMED_CAPACITY (Volume Consumed Capacity)
- ST_VOLUME_CONSUMED_CAPACITY_PCT (Volume Consumed Capacity Percentage)
- ST_VOLUME_HOST_VISIBLE_CAPACITY (Host Volume Visible Capacity)
- ST_VOLUME_IO_RATE (Volume Operation Rate)
- ST_VOLUME_MAPPED (Volume Mapped)
- ST_VOLUME_RAID_LEVEL (Volume RAID Level)
- ST_VOLUME_RESPONSE_TIME (Volume Response Time)
- ST_VOLUME_TIME_SINCE_LAST_ACTIVITY (Volume Time Since Last Activity)
- ST_VOLUME_TRANSFER_BYTE_RATE (Volume Transfer Byte Rate)
- ST_VOLUME_EXTERNAL_ID (Volume External Unique Identifier)
- BYHOST_ALLOCATED (Allocated Space by Host)
- BYHOST_SIZE (By Host Physical Size)
An ETL task can be run manually to retrieve performance metrics. Please note that the steps listed in this section are not mandatory and are only required if the ETL is not already scheduled for execution.
To run the ETL task:
- Access the TrueSight Capacity Optimization Console.
- In the Administration tab, select ETL & System Tasks > ETL Tasks.
- Click to execute the ETL task.
When the execution is complete, the value of the Status column in the ETL tasks table changes to SERVICE_ON.
Setting the collect frequency
The collect frequency is the rate at which data is collected. Collect frequency is set to 15 minutes by default, which means that it only applies to entities with an average duration of 900 seconds. It can however be modified to include more entities and performance metrics.
To know the average duration, under the Worskpace tab, select one entity, click the Metrics tab, and verify the Average duration column of the performance metrics.
To set the collect frequency:
- Edit the ETL Run Configuration:
- In the Administration tab, click ETL & System Tasks > ETL tasks.
- Click the link of the ETL task for which you wish to set the collect frequency.
- Click the Stop button to stop the service execution; then click the Edit button available in the Run configuration section.
- Click the link You can manually edit ETL properties from this page provided at the bottom of the page to display a list of editable options.
- Locate the service.period option, and enter the number of milliseconds corresponding to the frequency at which data will be collected. If you want the collect frequency to include both storage systems and storage pools for example, you will have to set the collect frequency to 7200000 milliseconds (2 hours).
- Click Save.
- Start the ETL.