Configuring email IDs to enable users to create cases by sending emails
As a case business analyst, you can enable automatic case creation for service requests received by email.
For this you must configure an outgoing email profile for your line of business to which users can send their requests.
Employees who do not have access to self-service tools, and external users can send their request to the configured email ID, and cases are automatically created for their request. The case is created by using a case template that matches the email subject and content. You can also use the cognitive service to select the appropriate case template to create the case based on the email subject and content. For information about enabling the cognitive service, see Leveraging cognitive capabilities in BMC Helix Business Workflows.
You can also configure multiple email IDs for a line of business to which users can send their requests. While setting up an email configuration, you can add all the email IDs.
For example, Calbro Services wants to configure automatic case creation through emails. The company wants to configure the email ID email@example.com for the Human Resources line of business. The company wants to track the requests about employee benefits separately and wants to use the firstname.lastname@example.org email ID to which users can send their requests related to benefits. In such a situation, while configuring the email ID for the company, you can add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org email IDs.
Before you begin
Make sure that the following tasks are completed:
- The administrator has configured an incoming mailbox. For more information, see
- You configure the default assignment mapping with a support group specified in it. Support group assignment is mandatory to create a case from an email. For more information about assignment mappings, see Automating case assignments.
To configure an email ID for a company
- Log in to BMC Helix Business Workflows.
- Click My Application Settings .
- Select Email > Configuration.
- On the Email Configuration page, from the Line of Business list, select the line of business for which you want to create an email configuration.
If you have access to a single line of business, the line of business is selected by default.
- On the Email Configuration page, click Email Configuration.
In the Create Email Configuration pane, complete the fields as described in the following table:
Field Action Line of Business The line of business that you selected to create the configuration is displayed. Company
Select one of the following values:
- Select the company for which you want to create the email configuration.
- Select Global to use the email configuration for all companies in your organization.
Email IDs Specify the email IDs that you want to map with the line of business. Incoming Mailbox Name Select the incoming mailbox that you want to map with the line of business.
The incoming mailboxes that you configured are available for selection.
Status Select any of the following statuses for the email ID:
- Active—If you want users to send emails to the email ID.
- Inactive—If you do not want users to send emails to the email ID.
Description Enter a description for the email configuration.
- Click Save.
After you configure an email ID for a line of business, you can set it up to include exclusion subjects, trusted emails, blocked emails, custom email process, and templates.