Configuring email IDs to enable users to create cases by sending emails
As a case business analyst, you can enable automatic case creation for service requests received by email.
(Version 20.08.01) For this you must configure an outgoing email profile for your line of business to which users can send their requests.
(Version 20.08) For this you must configure an email ID for your company to which users can send their requests.
Employees who do not have access to self-service tools, and external users can send their request to the configured email ID, and cases are automatically created for their request. The case is created by using a case template that matches the email subject and content. You can also use the cognitive service to select the appropriate case template to create the case based on the email subject and content. For information about enabling the cognitive service, see Leveraging cognitive capabilities in BMC Helix Business Workflows.
(Version 20.08.01) You can also configure multiple email IDs for a line of business to which users can send their requests. While setting up an email configuration, you can add all the email IDs.
(Version 20.08.01) For example, Calbro Services wants to configure automatic case creation through emails. The company wants to configure the email ID firstname.lastname@example.org for the Human Resources line of business. The company wants to track the requests about employee benefits separately and wants to use the email@example.com email ID to which users can send their requests related to benefits. In such a situation, while configuring the email ID for the company, you can add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com email IDs.
Before you begin
Make sure that the following tasks are completed:
- The administrator has configured an incoming mailbox. For more information, see
Configuring email profiles and templates
- You configure the default assignment mapping with a support group specified in it. Support group assignment is mandatory to create a case from an email. For more information about assignment mappings, see Configuring automatic case assignments.
To configure an email ID for a company
- Log in to BMC Helix Business Workflows.
- Click My Application Settings
The Settings page opens in a new browser tab. .
- Select Email > Email Configuration.
- (Version 20.08.01) On the Email Configuration page, from the Line of Business list, select the line of business for which you want to create an email configuration.
- On the Email Configuration page, click Create.
In the New Email Configuration pane, complete the fields as described in the following table:
Field Action (Version 20.08.01)
Line of Business
The line of business that you selected to create the configuration is displayed. Company
Select one of the following values:
- (Version 20.08.01) Select the company for which you want to create the email configuration.
- (Version 20.08.01) Select Global to use the email configuration for all companies in your organization.
- (Version 20.08) Select the company for which you want to configure the email ID.
- (Version 20.08) Select Global to use the email ID for all companies in your organization.
Specify the email IDs that you want to map with the line of business. (Version 20.08.01)
Incoming Mailbox Name
Select the incoming mailbox that you want to map with the line of business.
The incoming mailboxes that you configured are available for selection.
Description Enter a description for the email configuration. Status Select any of the following statuses for the email ID:
- Active—If you want users to send emails to the email ID.
- Inactive—If you do not want users to send emails to the email ID.
To set the email ID as default for your company, select Default Email .
You must consider the following points while setting up a default email ID:
You must define a default email ID for your company so that it can be used for sending emails from a case. When a case agent sends an email from a case, the email ID associated with the support group of the case agent is used to send the email. If the support group is not associated with an email ID, the default email ID of the company is used to send emails from a case. For more information about associating a support group with an email ID, see Setting up email IDs for automatic case creation.
If you need to delete the default email ID and have more than two email IDs configured for the company, you must set another email ID as the default before you delete the existing one.
- If you want to configure multiple email IDs for your company to which users can send their requests, you must define a default email ID and add other email IDs as alternate email IDs. For information about how to add alternate email IDs, see Setting up email IDs for automatic case creation.
- Click Save.
The Save option is applicable only to the fields that are displayed.
After you configure an email ID for a line of business, you can set it up to include exclusion subjects, trusted emails, blocked emails, custom email process, and templates.
Log in or register to comment.