Changing knowledge article statuses
As a case agent, when you create a knowledge article, the article goes through several stages before and after other agents and self-service users refer them. By default, an article is in the In Progress status, from where you move it to further statuses as required. To change the status of the article, you must have the required roles and permissions. The Knowledge status for associated actions section describes the roles required to update the status of an article.
- Knowledge articles can be published to an internal audience or an external audience. When you change the status of a knowledge article to Published, the External list value on the Resources tab in the Knowledge Metadata section defines the visibility of the article.
- No—Publish internally for agents.
- Yes—Publish externally for agents and self-service users.
By default, the value of this field is set to No.
If a case business analyst modifies the default lifecycle of knowledge articles, then the modified lifecycle is displayed while creating and editing articles. For more information, see Modifying the lifecycle of cases, tasks, and knowledge articles.
The following figure explains the default flow of knowledge articles from one status to another:
To change an article status
- Log in to BMC Helix Business Workflows.
- Navigate to Workspace > Knowledge.
- To open a knowledge article, on the Knowledge workspace, click the required article.
- Click the displayed status to open the status pane.
- On the status pane, select the required value in the Status field.
- (Optional) You can also specify the support group and assignee in the fields displayed.
- Click Save.
Knowledge status for associated actions
When you want to perform an action on a knowledge article, change the knowledge article status depending on your action. For example, when your article is ready to be published, you change the case status to Published and select Internally or externally to indicate whether the article is available only to agents or for service-service users and agents.
The following table lists the actions you can perform on a knowledge article, associated status change, and the roles and permissions required to change the status:
|Action||From status||To status||Required roles|
|Finished working on an article and the article is ready for review.||In Progress||Draft|
Review an article. This is an optional status.
|Skip SME Review status and publish an article internally (agents only) or externally (agents and self-service users).||Draft|
Publish an article internally (agents only) or externally (agents and self-service users) when SME approves the article after review.
|Update an article when SME rejects the article after review.||SME Review||Draft|
Remove an unpublished article from search.
Example: When you are working on an article and find a duplicate article, you can cancel the current article.
Assignee of the article with any of the following roles:
Invalidate an article when you do not want readers to invest time viewing invalid information.
Example: When an organization changes a policy, the related articles are retired and new articles are created with the updated information.
Internally and Externally published:
|The end-of-life of knowledge articles. Closed articles are not searchable.|