Changing case statuses
As a case agent, when you create a case, by default, its status is set to New. If you use a case template to create the case, the case status defined in the case template is reflected in the case. As you progress through the case, you move it to different statuses throughout its lifecycle.
If a case business analyst modifies the default lifecycle of cases, then the modified lifecycle is displayed while creating or editing cases. For more information, see Modifying the lifecycle of cases, tasks, and knowledge articles.
To change a case status
- Log in to BMC Helix Business Workflows.
- Navigate to Workspace > Cases.
- To open a case on the Cases workspace, click the required case ID.
- Click the status to open the status pane.
- In the status pane, select the required value in the Status field.
(Optional) Select the reason for changing the case status in the Status Reason field.
This field displays a list of reasons for Pending, Resolved, and Canceled statuses.
Status Status reason Pending
- Customer Response—The assignee needs a response from the requester of a case.
- Approval—The assignee needs an approval from the concerned user.
- Third Party—The assignee needs a third party vendor to perform some actions before the assignee moves the case to the next status.
- Auto Resolved—The assignee receives an automated report that the case is resolved.
- No Further Action Required—The customer reports that the issue no longer exists.
- Customer Follow-Up Required—The assignee resolved the case, but the customer needs to confirm the resolution.
- Approval Rejected—The approver of the case rejected it.
- Customer Canceled—The requester of the case canceled it.
After you change the status of the case, the assignee of the case is notified about the status change.
If you receive the following error, you cannot change the case status:
[Error (222128): You can't skip configured approval phase.]
For example, an approval mapping has a status trigger as Assigned and a case matches with a configured approval. You change the case status from New to In Progress in which you skip the Assigned status and you receive the error. To proceed with the case, you set the case status to Assigned and the configured approval is executed for the case.
Case status for associated actions
If you need to perform an action to proceed with a user issue, you can change the case status to support that action. For example, when you require additional information from the requester of the case, you change the case status to Pending, and update the status reason to Customer Response.
The following table lists the required status change based on actions you can perform on a case:
|Action||From status||Change to status|
Assign the case to another agent.
|Start working on a case.||Assigned||In Progress|
|The case has executed successfully.|
The case is pending for one of the following reasons:
Resume the case execution and change the status as required.
To do more work on a resolved case, perform any of the following steps:
Close the case when there is no further action required on it.
Closed cases are also searchable in the workspace. This is the end-of-life of a case lifecycle.
Cancel invalid cases.
For example, you cancel a case when the requester has canceled the case.
Canceled cases are searchable in the workspace, but can be incomplete.