Working with analyses
From the detail page of an analysis you can perform a set of common maintenance tasks, depending on the type of analysis and whether the analysis has been run at least once or not.
To view details about an analysis
Select the desired analysis from the navigation tree.
A full description of the analysis is displayed in its detail page; this contains some useful information to help you, or other users that have not been involved in the creation process, to immediately frame the analysis output.
The available details are:
- Name of the analysis
- Type of analysis
- Tags associated with the analysis
- Description provided by the creator
- Template used
- Resolution chosen for the data
- Time Filter used in the analysis
- Time Filter Description for the used time filter
- Entity Filters used in the analysis
- Date of creation of the analysis
- Owner of the analysis
- (Optional) Models lists the models, if any, that use this analysis.
- (Optional) Reports lists the reports, if any, that use this analysis.
To run an analysis
To run an analysis, click Run now. After a short processing time the results will be displayed in the working area.
It is possible to run the analysis more than once, but only the last results will be stored and preserved. It can be useful to run the same analysis again if you loaded new data in BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization for the period considered by the filter, or if you changed the filter itself by editing the analysis.
- By default, BMC TrueSight Capacity Optimization overwrites existing analysis results (charts and data) with the latest ones.
- Analyses based on business driver or correlation maps (i.e. Performance vs. Load, Performance vs. Performance, and Load vs. Load analyses) require the map to be completed before you can see the analyses charts. See Correlating resource utilization to business drivers for more information.
To edit an analysis
See Editing an analysis.
To view analysis results
Analysis results are displayed in the form of:
- A table, if you decided to create a tabular analysis
- Small thumbnails of the charts generated using the specified data, if the analysis has generated charts
Analysis results are reported with a Last refresh indication that informs you about the last execution date of the analysis.
Example of the detail page for an analysis
If the analysis produces charts, each thumbnail is accompanied by a short summary that describes the plotted metrics.
Click on a thumbnail to visualize the full size chart; the main frame will display the chart you selected and, on top of it, the other thumbnails, arranged in a scrollable stripe. This page is called chart gallery of the analysis.
Example of chart gallery
By clicking a thumbnail in the thumbnail stripe, you can maximize the selected chart; the same effect is produced using the provided arrows.
To go back to the analysis summary, click Back to result summary.
For more information on how to interact with charts and inspect in detail the analysis data, see Interacting with charts and analysis data.
To customize the analysis output chart
To promote an analysis to Golden
The Promote to Golden option, only visible to administrators, lets you schedule the analysis to be run at set intervals (daily, weekly or monthly). Configuring an analysis as Golden will also publish custom statistics that let you trace the trend of analysis results. For more information, refer to Working with producer-based and rule-based custom statistics.
Promoting an analysis to Golden
To create an analysis template (With a video)
The following video (3:30) illustrates how to create an analysis template and use it in a custom view.
By clicking Save as template, you can create an analysis template based on the current analysis.
Saved templates can be accessed from the Administration section (see Managing templates).
You will be prompted to set the following parameters:
- Name: Name of the new analysis template
- Description: Brief description of the template
- Group: Select a group with which the template is associated.
- Entities selection
- Leave the system/business driver selection empty (recommended)
- Keep the system/business driver selection of the current analysis (displays the currently selected entities)
- Metrics selection
- Leave the metric selection empty
- Keep the metric selection of the current analysis (recommended; displays the currently selected metrics)
- Subresources selection
- Leave the subresource selection empty (recommended)
- Keep the subresource selection of the current analysis (displays the currently selected subresources)
- Locations selection
- Leave the location selection empty (recommended)
- Keep the location selection of the current analysis (displays the currently selected locations)
- Save as
- New template: A new analysis template will be created
- Overwrite template: The new template will overwrite the specified analysis template
- Template usage: This option is enabled only if the selected template generates a single chart and analysis type is supported in TrueSight Console. If this option is disabled, by default the analysis template is shown in the Capacity console. Select either one of the following options:
- Use in Capacity console: Select this option to show the analysis template only in Capacity Console.
- Use in Capacity console and TrueSight console: Select this option to show the analysis template in Capacity Console as well as in TrueSight Console. When you select this option, the corresponding analysis template is listed in the available options in the Template drop-down list when you configure a chart in TrueSight console. For more details, see Analysis chart types supported in the TrueSight console.
Saving an analysis as template
To search for related objects
The Search related link performs a search for objects related to the current analysis (e.g. systems affected by it). For more information, see Searching for entities and metrics.