Using recommendations to resolve capacity risk and efficiency issues
TrueSight Capacity Optimization provides a set of out-of-the-box recommendations to enable you to handle a probable risk or efficiency issue with the capacity of your virtual or cloud resources.
With recommendations, you can obtain answers to some of the critical questions related to your environment, such as:
- Are there any idle or unused VMs in the infrastructure?
- Are there any oversubscribed vSphere clusters in the virtualized environment? If so, what action should be taken to offload some of these oversubscribed clusters?
- Is there sufficient CPU, memory, and storage for vSphere clusters for the next 30 days?
- How much storage is consumed by old snapshots? Can some of these snapshots be deleted to retrieve storage?
- Is there sufficient storage in datastores for the next 30 days? How can capacity problems in datastores be addressed?
A recommendation is a suggestion based on best practices about how to avoid potential capacity risks or improve efficiency. Out-of-the-box recommendations are available for the following technologies or platform entities:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Microsoft Azure
- VMware vSphere
Recommendations for a technology automatically start getting generated after you install the capacity view for that technology or after you install TrueSight Cloud Cost Control.
Before you install TrueSight Cloud Cost Control, see .
Each recommendation comprises the following elements:
- A brief overview of the issue.
- One or more suggested actions to resolve the issue. By performing the recommended actions, you can avoid the potential capacity risks, improve the overall efficiency, and reduce costs
Example of a recommendation
Recommendations are grouped as follows: Risk recommendations and Efficiency recommendations.
- Risk recommendations are provided to prevent a risk. For example, in case a disk is nearing saturation; the recommendation provides information about how much space must be added to prevent saturation for the next three months.
- Efficiency recommendations are not to prevent a problem, but to improve resource usage by eliminating wastage and reducing associated costs. For example, most of the old snapshots consume resources to save images that are not used since a long time. The recommendation provides information about how much savings can you achieve by deleting these snapshots to save resources and improve the data center efficiency.
If TrueSight Cloud Cost Control is installed, the Efficiency recommendations also provide the estimated cost savings (in $) that you can achieve by performing the recommended actions. The cost savings are computed based on the bill amount of your last or current month.
You can configure a recommendation as per your requirement by modifying the condition in the corresponding Optimizer rule.
A user with administrative privileges can reconfigure or add new Optimizer rules to modify the recommendations. For more information, see Configuring and managing Optimizer rules.
You can obtain the following types of recommendations:
- Out-of-the-box recommendations
- Future saturation recommendation
- Idle VM recommendation
- Old snapshot recommendation
- Overallocated VM recommendation
- Oversubscription recommendation
Supported recommendation types per platform entity
The following table provides a quick view of the supported recommendation types per entity. For detailed information about a recommendation type, see the earlier section.
|Forecasted saturation||Idle VM||Old snapshot||Overallocated VM||Oversubscription|
|AWS EC2 instances|
|vSphere datastores, datastore clusters, and hosts|
1 - Region, availability zone, host aggregate, hypervisor, tenants quota, and KVM host
To access recommendations
You can access recommendations on the capacity view pages of the corresponding platform.
|Platform||Page in the TrueSight console|
|AWS||Recommendations page in the AWS EC2 Instances view|
|Hyper-V||Recommendations page in the Hyper-V Overview view|
|Azure||Recommendations page in the Azure Virtual Machines view|
|OpenStack||Recommendations page in the OpenStack view|
If TrueSight Cloud Cost Control is installed, the relevant recommendations are also available from the Cost Optimization page in the TrueSight console.