Migrating the Application Server components to another server 1
Migration of Application Server and its components from one server to another server is required in any one of the following scenarios:
- Support for currently installed version of operating system is stopped.
- Upgrade to recent/different version of an operating system is required in your environment.
TrueSight Capacity Optimization provides an out-of-the-box utility, COMigrationUtility, to enable you to migrate your installation across platforms from an existing server to a new server. You can use this utility to migrate the Application Server or ETL Engine that are installed on a single or multiple computers.
Before you begin
- Refer to the planning information and identify the permissions required to install the product. For more information, see Preparing to install TrueSight Capacity Optimization.
- Identify or create a directory to be used for the installation of the TrueSight Capacity Optimization on the new server.
- If your environment has more than one Application Server with a shared repository mounted on a remote server via NFS, the shared repository is not collected by the migration utility. Ensure that you restore the Linux mount point on the new server before migrating the installation.
To migrate your installation
- Log in to the host computer on which you want to migrate the Application Server (new server) and perform the following tasks:
- Create a temporary directory.
- Download or copy the TrueSight Capacity Optimization installation files in the temporary directory. For more information, see Downloading the installation files.
- Extract the installation files in the temporary directory.
At the shell prompt, change to the directory where you extracted the installation files and navigate to the utility folder. For example,
As the Capacity Optimization system user (cpit), run the following command:
scp COMigrationUtility.sh userName@existingserverName:/CO_installation_PATH
This command copies the migration utility from the new server to the TrueSight Capacity Optimization installation directory on the existing server.
Log in to the host computer from where you want to migrate the Application Server (existing server) and perform the following tasks:
At the shell prompt, change to the installation directory.
As the Capacity Optimization system user (cpit), run the migration utility using the any one of the following commands:
Creates following packages in the
migration_outputdirectory in the installation directory of the existing server:
co_migration_package: Contains a snapshot with the all details of the Application Server and its components.
co_repository:Contains data of the local repository. If the repository is shared, this package is not created.
You can view the logs for the
./COMigrationUtility.shcommand in the
co_migration_packageand contact the administrator for migrating the contents of the local repository to the new server.
migration_outputdirectory in the installation directory of the existing server.
migration_outputdirectory in the installation directory of the existing server. If there are space constraints on the existing server while archiving the repository, the utility displays a warning indicating the space constraints and creates the
The migration utility stops all services before creating packages in the
- Copy the packages from the
migration_outputdirectory to the installation directory on the new server:
scp co_* userName@newserverName:/CO_installation_PATH
- Log in to the new server and run the installer using one of the following ways:
Using Silent installer:
According to your deployment environment, add the following parameters in the following files:
-J IS_MIGRATION_FLOW=true -J MIGRATE_REPOSITORY=true
-J MIGRATE_REPOSITORY=trueparameter only if you are using local repository. When you set this parameter to true the data of the local repository is migrated to the new server. If you are using the shared repository, set Set
-J IS_MIGRATION_FLOW=true -J MIGRATE_REPOSITORY=false
- Perform the instructions that are specified in Installing the Application Server and the ETL Engine silently.
For a local repository, a warning message is displayed in the installation screen if the
co_repositorypackage is not copied to the installation directory of the new server.
- For the path of the installation directory, type the path of the installation directory to which the packages from the
migration_outputdirectory are copied.
Click Yes, proceed with server migration when prompted with the Migration server option.
BMC recommends that you decommission the older server after ensuring that the server has been successfully migrated to the new server.
Your installation is migrated to the new server.
- Redeploy the Moviri and Sentry ETL modules that are configured in your environment. For more information, see the topic for deploying and configuring the required ETL module in Moviri ETL modules and Sentry ETL modules.