Infrastructure-based service resolution
Infrastructure-based service resolution is the second level of BMC Service Resolution.
With infrastructure-based service resolution, for every critical event reported by a BMC event-management product, an incident is created with event and Causal CI information.
The following diagram, using sample scenario, illustrates the end-to-end process of infrastructure-based ticketing.
Infrastructure-based Service Resolution uses the Event_Propagation_To_Remedy_Help_Desk policy. For information about how the event incident is enriched with CI, see Enriching the event.
- The temp disk space reaches 80% capacity. As a result, the threshold of temp space is breached. An alert is triggered and routed to the event-management product (ProactiveNet).
- A event is generated in ProactiveNet.
- Using the resolution product categories and corresponding event information, a Causal incident with event information is created via the service desk interface.
- Incident Management validates the resolution product categories with Atrium CMDB. The Category Type, Item, Product Name, and Manufacturer Name attributes of the CI are mapped to the Resolution Product Category fields on the incident.
- The incident is routed to the appropriate group based on the resolution product categories.
Incidents can be also routed using Supported By Group, and the CI location fields. For more information, see Incident routing using product categories.
- The service desk technician accepts ownership of the incident and updates the status to In Progress. For more information, see Governing incidents by changing the status.
- While in In Progress state, the event severity is reduced in ProactiveNet.
- Because the incident governance is set to update mode, this update is reflected as a work info entry for the incident. For more information, see Configuring incident governance.
- The engineer resolves the issue by running a script that clears the temp space on all the servers in the data center.
While inspecting the issue, the engineer can also add relationship in the incident while also retain the information of older relationship. For more information, see Replacing or adding incident relationships.
- The event is cleared in ProactiveNet.
The Causal incident is updated to indicate that the event is closed. If:
- Incident governance is set to Update, the incident is Resolved and the Causal Incident is still in Assigned state. The incident work note is updated to Resolved. Service desk technician needs to update the status of the Causal incident to Resolved.
- Incident governance is set to Manage, the incident is Resolved.