Downloading the installation files
You obtain the product installation files by downloading them from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website. Your ability to access product pages on the EPD website is determined by the license entitlements purchased by your company.
When to download a service pack or patch
For a fresh installation or an upgrade, check the release notes to determine the latest update and then download the following:
- The latest release or service pack (if available).
For service packs, the installer will install or upgrade the full product. For example, when you install version 9.1.01, it installs version 9.1.00 along with enhancements that were made in 9.1.01 (Service Pack 1).
- Any patches that are available for the release or service pack
Patches are not full installers and must be applied over the latest full installation (release or a service pack). You must then apply the latest patch available, for example 9.1.01.002, which would contain the most recent fixes as well as the fixes from the previous patch, Patch 1.
- Any hotfixes that are available for known issues
If you sign up for , you will be notified about new service packs or patches for applying the latest changes, as well as bulletins about critical fixes.
To download the files
Create a directory in which to place the downloaded files.
NoteOn Microsoft Windows computers, ensure that the directory is only one level into the directory structure. The EPD package creates a directory in the temporary directory when you extract the files, and the directory that contains the installation image should not be in a directory deeper than two levels into the directory structure.
- Access the installation files on EPD.
- If prompted, enter your user ID and password, and click Submit.
- If prompted, on the Export Compliance and Access Terms page, provide the required information, agree to the terms of the agreements, and click Continue.
- Click Download (FTP) or Download Manager:
- Download (FTP) places the selected items in an FTP directory, and the credentials and FTP instructions are sent to you in an email message.
- Download Manager enables you to download multiple files consecutively and to resume an interrupted download if the connection drops.
This method requires a one-time installation of the Akamai NetSession client program on the target computer and is usually the faster and more reliable way to transfer files. A checksum operation is used to verify file integrity automatically.