Tenants in shared service
A tenant is a server with BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) Suite installed. The tenant is on-boarded to a multitenant mid tier cluster in your environment. You can have one or more tenants per customer.
Depending upon your business requirement, you can choose to install only the platform components, or both platform and application components of the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite.
Guidelines for tenants
Decide which tenants must be added to the same mid tier in a cluster based on the following guidelines:
- Review the benchmark results for Performance benchmarking.
- To take full advantage of cache objects comparison and sharing, all tenants in a single mid tier cluster must have the same number of languages.
For example, if all tenants in a mid tier cluster have views only in English in all BMC Remedy ITSM forms and BMC Service Request Management forms, maximum sharing of cache objects across the tenants is achieved, thus saving on the number of resources.
- Add all the tenants that have the same version to a single mid tier cluster.
For example, add all tenants that have BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0 to a single mid tier cluster.
- Add all tenants that have minimum customizations to a single mid tier cluster.
- For a large Tier-1 tenant, decide whether you require a dedicated cluster.
- You should not configure one tenant across multiple mid tier clusters.
Recommendations for tenants
BMC Remedy AR System server recommendations
- Use BMC Remedy Mid Tier 9.0 with AR System server 9.0.
- When you set up the a server group, the primary AR System server will be the integration server. The integration server should not be configured as part of load balancer virtual pool for the AR System servers in the server group. Install Atrium Integrator, Atrium Web Services and UDDI on the integration AR System server.
BMC Atrium CMDB recommendations
In this section, the reference to Atrium Integrator Engine is applicable only for an upgrade scenario.
- If you are upgrading the BMC Atrium CMDB, you need not perform any additional step for an existing tenant. Tenants that do not use Atrium Integrator, Atrium Integration Engine or BMC Atrium Web Services, are not impacted.
- For better performance, do not install BMC Atrium Web Services on the same computer which has BMC Remedy Mid Tier. This is because, with mid tier as shared service, the BMC Remedy Mid Tier is multitenant, whereas BMC Atrium Web Services and Registry are not multitenant.
- Deploy BMC Atrium Web Services, Atrium Integrator, and UDDI as follows:
- (For single server configuration) On the AR System server.
- (For server group configuration) On the integration AR System server in server group.
- Provide access to the Tenant System Administrator to the AR System server hosting the Atrium Integration Engine Service, for data transfer required by the Atrium Integration Engine jobs. The Tenant System Administrator can access the Atrium Integration Engine interface using the mid tier cluster. The Atrium Integration Engine jobs run on the AR System server on which the Atrium Integration Engine Service is running based on the service ranking configured to accomplish this.
- For BMC Atrium Web Services, use a different hostname for each tenant. The load balancer facing the end user maps the hostname to the AR System server running the BMC Atrium Web Service for that tenant.
BMC Remedy ITSM Suite application recommendation
- For maximum benefit of scalability and performance, install the same version of BMC Remedy ITSM Suite applications on all the tenants in the mid tier cluster.