Performing the BMC Service Request Management installation
The following information is provided:
Running the installer multiple times
When you start the installer, you can choose one or more features to install at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the applications in the BMC Service Request Management solution. For example, you can rerun the installer multiple times to install additional language packs.
Before you begin
Apply the BMC Service Request Management (BMC:SR Mgmt Application) and Financial Management (BMC:Financial Mgmt Application) licenses to the AR System server before you start installation.
To install BMC Service Request Management
- To significantly reduce installation time, do not install products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
When installing BMC Service Request Management:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
Stand-alone BMC Service Request Management installation is not supported. You must first install BMC Remedy ITSM Suite and then install BMC Service Request Management.
- Download the BMC Service Request Management installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
The default location is C:\<downloadDirectory>\BMCServiceRequestManagement9.0.00.windows\Disk1.
(UNIX) If you are running the installer as a nonroot user, perform the steps listed in Preparing to install as a nonroot user, before you start the installer.
When installing the application on UNIX, BMC recommends performing the installation as a root user. However, you can perform the installation as a non-root user. If you choose to install the application as a non-root user, you must log in to the UNIX system under the same UNIX user ID that was used to install BMC Remedy AR System.
- Start the installer.
- (Microsoft Windows) Run setup.exe.
- (UNIX) Log on as root or nonroot and run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, perform the following actions:
- Verify that the administrator name and password are correct; modify them as needed.
- Review the default installation directory.
Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy ITSM Suite. The default locations are as follows:
- (Microsoft Windows) C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceRequestManagement
- (Unix or Linux) /opt/bmc/BMCServiceRequestManagement
- Click Next.
- In the Sample Data panel, to install the sample data, select Yes and then click Next.
To proceed without installing the sample data, select No and then click Next.
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer.
- On the Integration Applications panel, select either of the following applications that is installed on a remote computer on which you are not installing BMC Service Request Management:
- Change Management
- Incident Management
- Click Next.
The installer validates your inputs, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are nearly finished with the BMC Service Request Management installation.
- Click Install.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- (Windows) C:\Users\<installUser>\AppData\Local\Temp\bmcsrm_install_log.txt
- (UNIX) /tmp/bmcsrm_install_log.txt
- Close the log when you are finished.
- Click Done to exit the BMC Service Request Management installer.
- After completing the BMC Service Request Management installation, restart the BMC Remedy AR System server.