Performing the BMC Remedy Mid Tier upgrade
To ensure a smooth upgrade of platform components, BMC recommends that you upgrade the Mid Tier first and then upgrade AR System server. If you want to upgrade AR System server before upgrading Mid Tier, apply the latest patch before upgrading to 9.1.04. For example, if you are upgrading from 9.0.01, apply the patch MT_90SP1_2016DEC06_CU_ALLbefore upgrading the platform to 9.1.04. Contact BMC Support to obtain the patch.
If you start with the AR System server 9.1.04 upgrade before applying the patch or upgrading Mid Tier, you might receive a
Caught exception message. As a workaround, flush the Mid Tier cache or sync cache and then start with the AR System server upgrade.
The installer upgrades the following components
BMC Remedy Mid Tier server
BMC Remedy Mid Tier Configuration Tool
- Apache Tomcat JSP engine
The mid tier can be upgraded independent of other platform components.
Do not install any other application on the computer where you have installed the BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
Before you begin
- Ensure that the JAVA_HOME is set to a correct JDK path or is left blank.
If you have not done so already, do one of the following to prepare the server group for upgrade:
- Preparing the AR System server for a server group upgrade - Perform these steps when you are performing a staged upgrade or plan to upgrade the server group during a scheduled outage window.
- Preparing for an in-place, zero-downtime upgrade of the platform - If you want to upgrade the platform components that are a part of a server group environment with no scheduled outage, you must perform pre-configuration steps on the primary and secondary servers prior to upgrade.
If you have not done so already, prepare the system to run the installers. If you want to run in nonadmin mode on Windows, see Preparing a Windows environment. If you want to run in nonroot mode on UNIX, see Preparing a UNIX environment.
If you are using a currency format other than the default(default format is USD), you must run the currency utility before upgrading the platform and application components to 9.1.04 or later versions. Running the currency utility preserves the customization relevant to currency settings. Download the latest currency utility from BMC Communities. As a precaution, take a backup of the database before running the currency utility. The database backup might be required if a power outage or some technical issue interrupts the currency utility.
To run the currency utility manually, see Running currency utility before upgrading the platform components.
To upgrade BMC Remedy Mid Tier
- If you have not already done so, download the BMC Remedy AR System installer on a computer other than where you installed the AR System server.
- Unzip the appropriate installer (for example, ARSuiteKitWindows.zip or ARSuiteKitLinux.zip).
- Open the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer and double-click setup.exe (for Windows) or setup.bin (for UNIX or Linux).
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome pane, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- Select Upgrade.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem and /opt/bmc/ARSystem (UNIX and Linux).
- Select AR System mid tier and click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- Enter the correct JRE path, and then click Next.
For more information, see the installation spreadsheet.
- Enter the values from the planning spreadsheet for BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your input, and then the Installation preview pane appears, listing the product and product features that will be upgraded.
- Click Next to start the upgrade.
After the post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the installer log for any errors or warnings. The install logs are available at the following location:
- (Windows) C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\arsystem_install_log.txt
- (UNIX) /tmp/arsystem_install_log.txt
- To exit the AR System installer, click Done.
- Navigate to http://<midTierServer>:<port>/arsys/shared/config/config.jsp, and open the BMC Remedy Mid Tier Configuration Tool.
The default password is arsystem.
- Click General Settings.
- Select the AR System server as the authentication server, and then click Save Changes.
- Log out.
- (Optional) Restart the BMC Remedy Mid Tier web service.
After you upgrade BMC Remedy Mid Tier
After you upgrade, check whether a patch or fix has been released in Release notes and notices. When you upgrade the product, you must install the latest service pack and then apply the latest patch (if available). Patches are not full installations and must be applied over the latest full installation (main release or a service pack).
Atrium Single Sign-On is not supported in BMC Remedy AR System 9.1. If you have BMC Atrium Single Sign-On in your environment, you must install BMC Remedy Single Sign-On after upgrading BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
Troubleshooting the BMC Remedy Mid Tier upgrade
Consult the following topics for information about issues you might encounter during the upgrade:
Where to go from here
If you are upgrading other AR System components, return to Upgrading BMC Remedy AR System.
If you have finished upgrading all AR System components, go to Completing the BMC Remedy AR System upgrade.
|Up to process|
If you are finished upgrading the platform, return to the appropriate upgrade process: