Overview of the Delta Data Migration tool
You use the Delta Data Migration (DDM) tool to migrate delta data from the source server to the destination server. When you install BMC Remedy Migrator, the following components and packages of the DDM tool are installed:
Components of the Delta Data Migration tool
The DDM tool consists of the following components:
- Configuration.xml: The file that the DeltaMigration.exe executable uses to run the correct package versions from the Packages folder.
- DeltaMigration.exe: The executable that is run to compare or migrate your data from the current production server to the staging server (the new production server).
Application packages in the Delta Data Migration tool
The Packages folder under the default installation directory (<MigratorInstallDirectory>\migrator\DeltaDataMigration) contains the packages, instruction XML files, and mapping files for all supported versions of the products listed in the Packages section.
Do not modify the contents of any folders, unless directed to do so by BMC.
The following application packages are installed with the DDM tool:
- BMC Atrium Core
- BMC Knowledge Management
- BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management
- BMC Remedy Action Request System (BMC Remedy AR System)
- BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM)
- BMC Service Impact Manager
- BMC Service Level Management
- BMC Service Request Management
- Integration for BMC Remedy Service Desk
Each application package, such as BMC Remedy Action Request (BMC Remedy AR) System and BMC Atrium Core, BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) Suite, includes a set of the following files:
- One package XML file: A list of instruction files that you must execute in the order shown. The instruction files contain the following information for each form:
- Source and destination form name
- Unique field IDs
Qualification to be used to migrate the data. The following example shows the qualification Last Modified Date:
'6' >= "<DATE>"
- A migrate option, which is set to Update. (This option updates existing records if the same record is already present and creates new records if the same record is not present.)
- An option set to not trigger any workflow during the migration.
A package XML file is created, which lists the instruction XML files and specifies their execution order.
Many instruction XML files: Instructions for migrating form data. Each application package XML file references one or more of these instruction files. The following example shows an instruction XML file:
<data enabled="true" source-form="FIN:ConfigRules" destination-form="FIN:ConfigRules" type="data" mode="search" merge-option="update" ignore-required-fields="true" ignore-pattern-matching="true" count="0" disable-related workflow="true">}} <qualification>PASS_QUALIFICATION</qualification> <unique-fields> <field id="270002020"> <field id="1000000001"> </unique-fields> <ports enabled="true" list="LIST_PORT" fast="FAST_PORT"> </ports> </data>
- .arm files: Field mapping files. One or more instruction files refer to these .arm files. Mapping files are created in the following conditions:
- Forms need mappings for newly created required fields. These fields must be configured with a default value in applications
- One or more fields need to be mapped to a different field on the destination server
- Data transformation changes between product versions must be managed
- If no mapping files are referenced in the instruction files for a form (In this case, the migrator moves data from all fields on the production server to the staging server.)
Utlities in the Delta Data Migration tool
The Utilities folder contains the following utilities that you can use to find and package custom forms from your server:
- A count utility (AREntryCounter)
- Custom forms packaging utility