Installing Remedy Mid Tier on an external Tomcat
In a Proof of Concept (PoC) environment, you can deploy Mid Tier on the Apache Tomcat that is bundled in the installer. However, in a production environment, you must deploy Mid Tier on an external Tomcat that you install separately.
- To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- For best results, install Remedy Mid Tier on a separate computer from the Remedy AR System server.
When installing Remedy Mid Tier:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
Before you begin
- Ensure that you have installed Tomcat on the machine where you want to deploy Mid Tier. For instructions, see . For Tomcat version, see
- Ensure that arsys.xml and server.xml are in sync.
- If arsys.xml does not exist, create it in the Tomcat’s location: Tomcat<ver>\conf\Catalina\localhost and point to your Mid Tier location Configure the server.xml as per the recommended settings
To install Remedy Mid Tier on an external Tomcat
- Download the Remedy AR System installer on a computer other than where you installed the AR System server.
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, ARSuiteKitWindows.zip or ARSuiteKitLinux.zip).
- Open the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Products selection panel, perform the following actions:
- Select Install.
- Select AR System mid tier and clear the other options.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install the Remedy AR System application.
The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem (Windows) and /opt/bmc/ARSystem (UNIX and Linux).
- To install Mid Tier on external Tomcat, select Use external tomcat server check box.
- Navigate to the Tomcat home directory.
- Click Next.
- Enter the values from the installation spreadsheet for the mid tier.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your inputs. The Installation Preview panel then appears, listing the product and features that will be installed.
- Click Next.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review any error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
For Windows, C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\arsystem_install_log.txt
For UNIX, /tmp/arsystem_install_log.txt
- Click Done to exit the AR System installer.
- Open the Remedy Mid Tier Configuration Tool ( http://<midTierServer>:<PortNumber>/arsys/shared/config/config.jsp ).
The default password is arsystem.
- Click General Settings.
- Select the AR System server as the authentication server, and then click Save Changes.
- Log out.