Installing BMC Remedy AR System 9.1.03.001
This topic provides instructions for downloading and installing the latest patch for BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System 9.1.00 Service Pack 3. You can install this patch only on 64-bit computers. When the AR System patch is being applied, the patch installer restarts the AR System server as part of the installation process.
Before you begin
Before you install the patch, ensure that you review the following guidelines:
- You must have installed BMC Remedy AR System 9.1.00 Service Pack 3 (9.1.03) before running patch installer.
- Ensure that all AR System objects have been released before you apply the patch.
- If the default %TEMP% directory has insufficient space, increase the available space or change its location.
The 9.1 patch installer does not use the Install Anywhere Framework and is not affected by the
- Before applying Apps packages (ITSM and SRM) in a server group, perform the following steps:
- Install BMC Remedy 9.1.03 on both primary and secondary servers.
- Apply 91 SP3 Patch1 for AR System and Atrium Core on both primary and secondary servers.
If the java version is upgraded to a new version on the machine where BMC Remedy 9.1.03 is installed, AR, Atrium Core, and Smart Reporting do not work. Update the java path as mentioned in Updating Java paths after upgrading, and then start the patch installation.
Reviewing the patches currently installed on your computer
To review all the current patches installed on your computer, perform the following steps:
Open the Maintenance Tool (installed under C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\arsystem).
Click Browse to Log.
Scroll through the Navigation pane to find the <Product>InstalledConfiguration.xml file for the product patch that you installed. For example:
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml
Double-click the file to open it in the Maintenance Tool.
Click the Product Feature Map tab.
Installing the patch and reviewing the results
The patch installer determines which modules are already installed on the target computer and then applies the patches only to those modules. For example, if you run the AR System patch installer on a computer that is running only the AR System server, then only the fixes the relevant to the AR System server are applied.
To install the patch and review the results
- Download the patch installer from the BMC Electronic Product Download site, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD. For more information on downloading, see Downloading the installation files.
- Unzip the suite installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run the setup.exe.
- For UNIX, log on as root and run setup.bin.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
On the Patch contents panel, open the URL to review what is included in the patch, and then click Next.
On the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, review the AR System server values, and then click Next.
- If you have the BMC Remedy AR System server installed on the computer and the value of the environment variable BMC_AR_SYSTEM_HOME is set to the specified location where the AR System server is installed, the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel will be displayed.
- If you have only installed BMC Remedy Mid Tier or BMC Remedy Smart Reporting on the computer, the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel will not be displayed.
On the Installation Preview panel, review the list of patch fixes that you are installing, and then click Install.
When the patch installation is finished and the Installation Summary panel appears, click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues.
The installation log is located in the %TEMP% folder of your computer. For example:
Close the log when you finish.
Click Done to exit the patch installer.
Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
To install the patch on a server group
To install the patch on a server group, perform the following steps:
- Remove the administrator server from the load balancer.
- On the administrator server, install the patch by following the instructions that are provided in Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable the administrator server on the load balancer.
- On each of the non-administrator servers, perform the following steps:
- Remove the non-administrative server from the load balancer.
- Install the patch by following the instructions that are provided in Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable the server on the load balancer.
Preparing to install the patch as a nonroot user
To prepare for installing the patch as a nonroot user follow the instructions that are provided in Preparing.
Performing a silent installation
Before proceeding with silent installation of this patch, make sure that the BMC Remedy Admin User has a password. [For example: Demo]
Use the Maintenance Tool to create an encrypted password.
Create a text file called Options.txt and add the following options that correspond to user inputs.
-J BMC_AR_USER=<AR System Admin User> -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=<AR System User Password> -J BMC_AR_PORT=<AR System TCP Port> -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=<Server Alias>
-J BMC_AR_USER=Demo -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=DES\:51208e44b3bc2f3808839e457d4e2050 -J BMC_AR_PORT=0 -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=vw-sjc-aus-idd04
Open a command window and navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
Run the installer with the
setup.exe -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>\Options.txt
setup.bin -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>/Options.txt
You must use an absolute path to the Options.txt file.
- Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
After installing the patch
After installing the patch, perform the following steps:
After you apply the patch to the BMC Remedy Mid Tier, flush the mid tier cache and delete the content from the following folders:
After installing the patch, if the Java version on your machine is upgraded to a newer version, BMC Remedy AR system and BMC Remedy Smart Reporting may not work. For the BMC Remedy AR System and BMC Remedy Smart Reporting to work successfully after the Java version upgrade, you must update the Java paths by using the instructions mentioned in Updating Java paths after upgrading.