Installing BMC Remedy AR System 9.1.02.001
You can view the ARSystem91SP2Patch1FileList folder for a list of AR System files that are updated by Patch 001. The following topics are provided in this section:
This patch also includes fixes for the following applications:
- BMC Remedy Migrator – In this patch release, improvements made to BMC Remedy Migrator are provided in a hotfix.
To apply fixes for BMC Remedy Migrator, see Installing the hotfix for BMC Remedy Migrator.
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting.
Before you begin
Before you install the patch, ensure that you review the following guidelines:
- You must have installed BMC Remedy AR System 9.1.00 Service Pack 2 before running patch installer.
- Ensure that all AR System objects have been released before you apply the patch.
- If the default %TEMP% directory has insufficient space, increase the available space or change its location.
The 9.1 patch installer does not use the Install Anywhere Framework and is not affected by the
- After you apply the patch to the BMC Remedy Mid Tier, flush the mid tier cache and delete the content from the following folders:
Reviewing the patches currently installed on your computer
To review all the current patches installed on your computer, perform the following steps:
Open the Maintenance Tool (installed under C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\arsystem).
Click Browse to Log.
Scroll through the Navigation pane to find the <Product>InstalledConfiguration.xml file for the product patch that you installed. For example:
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml
Double-click the file to open it in the Maintenance Tool.
Click the Product Feature Map tab.
Under Updates, review the patches installed on your computer (for example, Patch 001).
Installing the patch and reviewing the results
The patch installer determines which modules are already installed on the target computer and then applies the patches only to those modules. For example, if you run the AR System patch installer on a computer that is running only the AR System server, then only the fixes the relevant to the AR System server are applied.
(Click the image to expand it.)
To install the patch and review the results
- Download the patch installer from the BMC Electronic Product Download site, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD. For more information on downloading, see BMC Remedy ITSM Suite components and installers.
- Unzip the suite installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run the setup.exe.
- For UNIX, log on as root and run setup.bin.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
On the Patch contents panel, open the URL to review what is included in the patch, and then click Next.
On the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, review the AR System server values, and then click Next.
- If you have the BMC Remedy AR System server installed on the computer and the value of the environment variable BMC_AR_SYSTEM_HOME is set to the specified location where the AR System server is installed, the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel will be displayed.
- If you have only installed BMC Remedy Mid Tier or BMC Remedy Smart Reporting on the computer, the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel will not be displayed.
(Click the image to expand it.)
On the Installation Preview panel, review the list of patch fixes that you are installing, and then click Install.
When the patch installation is finished and the Installation Summary panel appears, click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues.
The installation log is located in the %TEMP% folder of your computer. For example:
Close the log when you finish.
Click Done to exit the patch installer.
Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
To install the patch on a server group
To install the patch on a server group, perform the following steps:
- Shut down all of the non-administrator servers in the server group.
- Remove the administrator server from the load balancer.
- On the administrator server, install the patch by following the instructions that are provided in Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable the administrator server on the load balancer.
- On each of the non-administrator servers, perform the following steps:
- Start the BMC Remedy AR System service.
- Install the patch by following the instructions that are provided in Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable the server on the load balancer.
Preparing to install the patch as a nonroot user
To prepare for installing the patch as a nonroot user follow the instructions that are provided in
Installing the hotfix for BMC Remedy Migrator
In version 9.1.02.001 patch release, a hot fix is provided for improvements to BMC Remedy Migrator. Perform the following steps to prepare and apply the hotfix:
Preparing to apply the hotfix
- If your BMC Remedy Migrator tool is running, ensure that you stop it.
- Navigate to the following BMC Remedy Migrator installation directory on your system at: <migrator installation directory>/Migrator/migrator folder.
You can view the
MigratorCLI.exeunder the folder.
- Rename the existing binary files to another name, for example,
You must perform this step to avoid overwriting your existing files when you paste the hotfix files to this location. You are now ready to apply the hotfix.
- Optionally, perform the following steps if you need to migrate delta data:
- From the BMC Remedy Migrator installation directory navigate to the DeltaDataMigration folder.
- Back up your
Applying the hotfix
From the patch download directory, navigate to <patch_installer>\Disk1\utility\Migrator\migrator.
- Copy the
MigratorCLI.exefiles and paste them to the <migrator installation directory>/Migrator/migrator folder on your system.
The hotfix is now applied.
- If you completed the DDM steps in the Preparing to apply the hotfix section, perform the following steps:
- From the patch download directory, navigate to the DeltaDataMigration folder.
- Copy the
DeltaMigration.exefile and paste it to the <migrator installation directory>/Migrator/migrator/DeltaDataMigration file on your system.
Performing a silent installation
Before proceeding with silent installation of this patch, make sure that the BMC Remedy Admin User has a password. [For example: Demo]
Use the Maintenance Tool to create an encrypted password.
Create a text file called Options.txt and add the following options that correspond to user inputs.
-P installLocation=<ARSYSTEM_DIR> -A featureARSystemServers -J BMC_AR_USER=<AR System Admin User> -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=<AR System User Password> -J BMC_AR_PORT=<AR System TCP Port> -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=<Server Alias>
-P installLocation=D:\BMCSoftware\ARSystem -A featureARSystemServers -J BMC_AR_USER=Demo -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=DES\:51208e44b3bc2f3808839e457d4e2050 -J BMC_AR_PORT=0 -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=vw-sjc-aus-idd04
Open a command window and navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
Run the installer with the
setup.exe -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>\Options.txt
setup.bin -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>/Options.txt
You must use an absolute path to the Options.txt file.
- Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
Reconciling your customizations
For information on reconciling your customization, see Reconciling AR customizations. Make sure to perform the mandatory step of reconciling after an upgrade with overlays already present.