Preparing to install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
Before you begin
Before you perform the installation, consider the following:
- Only a fresh installation of BMC Remedy Smart Reporting is available.
- BMC recommends that you install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting and BMC Remedy AR System Server on different machines.
- You must onboard BMC Remedy Smart Reporting only after BMC Remedy ITSM.
- Ensure that the machine on which you are installing this component meets the following requirements:
Java JRE version 7.0u55 or later is installed
With Service pack 1 and later Java SE 8_u45 and higher is supported. Older versions are not supported.
- Terminal server configuration is completed
- Ports: Ensure that your firewall does not block the following ports:
- Default port 8181 used by Smart Reporting
- Default SQL Server port 1433
- Default Oracle Server port 1521
Configuring the terminal server (Windows only)
- Go to Start > Run.
- In the Run dialog box, enter gpedit.msc, and press Enter.
- Choose Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Temporary Folders.
- Enable the following options:
- Do not Delete temp folder on Exit
- Do not use temp folder per session
- Restart the system.
- If the settings are not enabled:
- Choose Start > Run.
- In the Run dialog box, enter regedit and press Enter.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEMCurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server and update the PerSessionTempDir and DeleteTempDir OnExit options to 0.
- Restart the system.
Preparing your Smart Reporting database
You must create a database user prior to Smart Reporting installation.
To create a database user (Oracle)
- Login to the Oracle db as an Administrator.
- In the SQL prompt, execute the following commands:
SQL> create tablespace reporting datafile 'reporting' size 500M reuse autoextend on
SQL> create user repadmin identified by RP#Admin# default tablespace reporting;
SQL > grant unlimited tablespace to repadmin;
SQL> create role RRole not identified;
SQL > grant CREATE SESSION, alter session, create cluster, create database link, create sequence,create trigger, query rewrite, create synonym, create table, create view, create procedure to RRole;
SQL> grant RRole to repadmin;
When running the Smart Reporting installer, you encounter the following panel:
The following table lists the possible combinations that result from the selections you make on the panel.
|Database||User||Pre-requisites||SQL Server Authentication||Windows Authentication|
|New DB||New user||Installer creates the database and the user. DBA credentials are required.||Supported||Not supported|
|Existing DB||Existing user||Valid DB and user must be available. DB must be clean. DBA credentials are not required.||Supported||Supported|
|New DB||Existing user||Installer creates the database. DBA credentials are required to create a new DB from the installer. Valid user must be available.||Supported||Supported|
|Existing DB||New user||Valid DB must be available. Installer creates a new user. DBA credentials are required.||Supported||Not supported|
To add a pre-created database and user
Follow these steps if you want to use existing database and it's user.
- Login to the MS SQL server database, as an Administrator.
- Create the new database:
- In the Object List right-click Databases.
- Click New Databases.
- Enter the database name.
- Click OK. The database will get created.
create database < database name>
- Create the user and give the permissions for the new database you created.
- In the Object List click Security > Logins.
- Right-click Logins and click New Login.
- Enter the details of the new user.
- Give the permissions for the new database you created.
# Creates the login <username> with password '<password>'.
CREATE LOGIN <username>
WITH PASSWORD = '3<password>';
# Creates a database user for the login created above.
CREATE USER <username> FOR LOGIN <username>;
To install with external tomcat
- You must update the context.xml file.
- Go to <external tomcat installation directory>\conf\ context.xml.
Set the xmlBlockExternal to false in the Context parameter. For example:
Adding a new Context xmlBlockExternal tag is not recommended. You must update the existing tag as shown in the table below.
Before updating Recommended To be avoided
- Save the file.
- If you have installed the external tomcat as a service you must set the java heap size as following:
- Minimum: 1024
- Maximum: 2048
- Proceed with the installation.