Performing the BMC Remedy ITSM installation
The BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) Suite installer enables you to deploy the following ITSM products in your IT environment:
- BMC Service Desk — Includes BMC Incident Management and BMC Problem Management
- BMC Asset Management
- BMC Change Management
- BMC Knowledge Management
The following topics are provided:
Running the installer multiple times
When you run the installer, you can choose one or more applications or features to upgrade at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to upgrade all of the applications in the ITSM solution. For example, you can perform the following actions:
- Install an initial product, and then run the installer a second time to install multiple components.
- Rerun the installer multiple times to install additional language packs.
- Rerun the installer to apply the multi-tenancy fixes.
During installation, the Multi-tenancy Workflow Customization Information panel appears if you installed the 9.0 version of BMC Service Request Management.
- Apply the appropriate BMC Remedy ITSM licenses to the AR System server before you start installation.
- Install Atrium Integrator Server before you start installation.
- If you are installing BMC Knowledge Management, license and install Full Text Search (FTS) on the AR System server. The installer disables FTS indexing before the installation (if it is already enabled) and enables FTS indexing before the end of the installation.
To install BMC Remedy ITSM
- To significantly reduce installation time, do not install products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- If you install the sample data, apply at least 20 AR User Fixed licenses for each BMC Remedy ITSM application.
When installing BMC Remedy ITSM:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
Sample data is installed only if you install the entire ITSM suite, not a single product.
- Download the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite installer from the Electronic Product Download (EPD) site, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
(UNIX) If you are running the installer as a nonroot user, perform the steps listed in Preparing to install as a nonroot user, before you start the installer.
BMC recommends that when you install the application on UNIX, you perform the installation as a root user. However, you can perform the installation as a non-root user. To do so, you must log on to the UNIX system under the same UNIX user ID that was used to install BMC Remedy AR System.
- Start the installer:
- (Windows) Run setup.exe
(UNIX) Log on as root or nonroot and run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputspanel, perform the following actions:
- Verify that the administrator name and password are correct, or modify them as needed.
- To review the default installation directory, navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy ITSM Suite.
The default locations are as follows:
- (Microsoft) C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCRemedyITSMSuite
- (UNIX) /opt/bmc/BMCRemedyITSMSuite
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features (such as BMC Remedy Asset Management, BMC Remedy Change Management, and so on).
- Select one or more BMC Remedy ITSM applications to install, and then click Next.
The installer checks the AR System server for valid BMC Remedy ITSM licenses. If you meet all the conditions, the Multi-Tenancy Workflow Customization Information panel is displayed.
Carefully review the following multitenancy options. Depending on the conditions, you might see three different sets of questions and corresponding options.
Question Description Options
Did you customize the multi-tenancy model for any of the installed applications?
You always see this question the first time you run the installer.
- Click Yes if you customized the multitenancy model. The update is not applied.
- Click No to apply the update, because you did not customize the model.
Did you reconcile the customizations?
You see this question because you previously indicated there were multitenancy model customizations.
- Click Yes to apply the update if you reconciled the customizations.
- Click No to defer the multitenancy updates to a later time. You must first reconcile the customizations to the multitenancy model. You can then rerun the installer to apply the multitenancy update, or you can manually apply the multitenancy update. For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
Applying the Multi-Tenancy service pack takes a significant amount of time. Do you want to apply it now?
You see this question only if you have hit the threshold of more than 20,000,000 records. If you do not hit the 20,000,000 record threshold, the message does not appear.
- Click Yes to apply the update now.
- Click No to apply the update later.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
- If the utility encounters any errors, you must fix the underlying problems before you can manually run the multitenancy utility later.
- If you do not see any errors, the multitenancy update is successful.
For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
- Enter the values from the planning spreadsheet for the applications that you want to install.
The installer validates your input, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are close to completion of the BMC Remedy ITSM installation.
- Click Install.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. The installation log file is placed at the following location:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the BMC Remedy ITSM installer.
Before you log on to the AR System server, flush the Mid Tier cache and your browser cache.
With this release, you cannot directly login as a appadmin user. To access appadmin user, you need to manually update the password using the AR system administrator credentials.