Performing server configuration adjustments
Before running the Delta Data Migration tool, perform the following server configuration adjustments:
Performing adjustments on the destination server
- Destination servers must be out of server group and no other server should be connected to this database.
- There should be no data changes allowed in the Destination server.
Make the following adjustments on the destination server:
Set the Max Entries Returned by GetList parameter to 0 on the Configuration tab to cover all delta data in the forms. After completing the DDM process, be sure to set this parameter back to the original value.
Disable the following settings:
Distributed Server Option (DSO) on all application servers.
Escalations on all application servers.
Database triggers within the BMC Remedy AR System schema. Work with your database administrator to disable the triggers.
BMC Atrium CMDB, the Reconciliation Engine, and Service Level Management collectors in the armonitor.cfg file on the destination server.
Disable the following daemons by placing a leading # (hash) on each line:
After BMC AR System Server
After BMC Atrium Core
To help increase the DDM performance, configure the following items on the the Server Information page of the BMC Remedy AR System Administration Console. (After running DDM, reset these items to their premigration values.)
- On the FTS tab, select the Disable FTS Indexer and Disable Full Text Searching check boxes.
- On the Advanced tab, clear the Localize Server check box.
If you leave this box selected, the migration tool looks for localized data twice, which has a significant impact on system performance.
Set the isolation level for MS SQL Server on the source and destination server databases.
If you do not set the isolation level, migration of form data will be unsuccessful, and you might see an error like this in the HTML log files:
11/22/2011 17:51:07 1612 *ERROR* Migrations 17:51:07 : An Error Occured with Data 'NTE:Notifier Log' 11/22/2011 17:51:07 1612 *ERROR* Migrations 17:51:07 : [The SQL database operation failed. The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION. (SQL Server 3903)]
If the isolation level is set incorrectly, then set the isolation level for Microsoft SQL Server databases on the source and destination server as follows:
Run the following commands from the SQL Server Management Studio:
SELECT snapshot_isolation_state FROM sys.databases where name = 'ARSystem' SELECT is_read_committed_snapshot_on FROM sys.databases where name = 'ARSystem'
If the commands return 0, stop the AR System server, and run the following
ALTERcommands. (If the AR System server is running, the
ALTERcommands might take a long time to complete.)
ALTER DATABASE ARSystem SET ALLOW_SNAPSHOT_ISOLATION ON ALTER DATABASE ARSystem SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON
Performing adjustments on the source server
If the source server used for DDM is a static server with a copy of the production database restore, then you must do the following:
- Perform all adjustments on the destination server
Start the BMC Remedy AR System services on that source staging server.
If the source server used for DDM is the actual production database server, you must perform all the adjustments listed above on the source server.
- For initial runs of the Delta Data Migration tool, on the source server, set the Max Entries Returned by GetList parameter to 0 on the Configuration tab to cover all delta data in the forms. After completing DDM, be sure to set this parameter back to its original value.
Optionally, you can make the adjustments listed in Performing adjustments on the destination server.
Performing delta data migration
For the final run of the Delta Data Migration tool:
- Make all of the adjustments listed in Performing adjustments on the destination server.
- For forms in which the amount of data is large and the total number of records is greater than 1 million, create the index (additional index is required for DDM) at the database level in the T table, and index Field ID 6 (Last Modified Date).
- Reset the following configuration to their premigration values:
- Max Entries Returned by GetList parameter
- Index Field ID 6 in the T table
|Refer to...||To know about...|
|from the BMC Remedy Action Request System online documentation.||Configuring BMC Remedy AR System servers for a distributed environment.|
|from the BMC Remedy Action Request System online documentation.||The definition for Disable Escalations.|