Installing encryption on BMC Remedy applications
This topic describes how to install Performance and Premium encryption on BMC Remedy AR System servers and clients. Use the same procedure for both Microsoft Windows and UNIX platforms.
To install encryption on third-party or user applications that use the AR System API to communicate with AR System servers, see Installing encryption on non-BMC Remedy applications.
If you update the Oracle Java runtime environment (JRE) or Java development kit (JDK) on a computer after installing Performance Security or Premium Security, you must reinstall encryption. See in BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
Before you begin
Verify the following items:
All servers and clients on which you plan to install a BMC Remedy Encryption Security product are using the latest version of BMC Remedy AR System.
The BMC Remedy Encryption Security products are compatible with your system. See FIPS 140-2 certification in FIPS encryption options.
The appropriate AR Encryption license is added to each server on which you plan to install encryption. (For information about adding licenses to servers, in BMC Remedy AR System documentation)
To install encryption on BMC Remedy AR System servers and clients
- Go to the directory that contains the encryption installer.
Run the appropriate installer:
- If the Notification screen appears, follow the instructions on the screen.
If you restart your computer to comply with the instructions, you must also restart the installer.
In the Welcome screen, click Next.
At any time during setup, you can click Cancel to exit the installer. However, your settings up to that point in the installation are not saved.
- Select I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
- (Optional) In the Directory Selection screen, click Browse to change the temporary installation directory.
- Click Next.
- In the Select AR Component screen, select the components to install encryption on.
If you do not want to install encryption on a preselected component, clear the component's check box.
To add a component to the list:
- In the Add Component area, select the component in the Component list.
- Click Browse.
Navigate to a folder in which to install the component's encryption library.
The encryption library must be stored in the folder that contains the component's arapi75.dll file.
- Select the folder, and click Open.
- Click Add to List.
- Click Next.
- (Installing on a server only) When the AR Components Detection Validation Result screen notifies you that the installer will restart the server, click Next, and proceed to step 13.
(Installing on Java only) From the Java Platform Selection panel, select the JRE directories used by the Java components.
Select both the JDK JRE directory and the public JRE directory.
Java-based components include BMC Remedy Mid Tier, BMC Remedy Developer Studio, the BMC Remedy Flashboards server, BMC Remedy Email Engine, the Java plug-in server, and user-developed clients that use the BMC Remedy AR System Java API.
Add a JRE directory to the table:
- Click Add.
- Navigate to the folder that contains the definition.
- Select the folder, and click Open.
- (Installing on Java only) Click Next.
- (Installing on a server only)From the Security Mode Information window, select one of the following options and click Next.
FIPS Compliant — If you select this option, your encryption configuration will comply with Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2. See FIPS encryption options
Encryption Algorithm — Select an encryption algorithm:
AES — Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is a block cipher. It is the U.S. Federal government-approved encryption algorithm and provides a higher level of security than RC4.
RC4 — Rivest Cipher 4 (RC4) is a stream cipher. It is less secure than AES but faster. This option is not available for FIPS-compliant servers.
Security Policy— Select a security policy:
Optional — Clients with and without encryption installed can communicate with the server. This option is not available for FIPS-compliant servers.
Required — Only clients with encryption installed can communicate with the server.
Disabled — Whether encryption is installed on a client or not, communication with the server is not encrypted.
See in BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
- In the Installation Preview window, perform one of the following tasks:
- To change the installation setup, click the Previous button and return to the windows that need editing.
- To start the installation, click Install.
The installer copies the encryption libraries into the specified folder for each component you selected in step 8 and updates product log files and registry entries. If you are installing encryption on a server, it also restarts the server.
- When the installation is finished, do one or both:
- (Optional) To review the install log file, click View Log.
- To exit the wizard, click Done.
If you install Performance Security or Premium Security on a BMC Remedy AR System server before adding the appropriate BMC Remedy AR System Encryption Performance or Premium license to the server, the installation program automatically disables encryption. To activate encryption, you must add the license to your server (see Configuring) and then activate encryption (see ) in BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
Where to go from here
To modify a server's encryption settings after installation, see in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation.