Installing BMC Service Level Management Server
This topic provides the following information:
During installation, the Multi-tenancy Workflow Customization Information panel appears if you:
- Previously installed the 8.1 versions of BMC Remedy IT Service Management and BMC Service Request Management
- Are installing BMC Service Level Management on a primary server in a server group.
- Are installing BMC Service Level Management on a standalone BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System server.
When installing BMC Service Level Management:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
Running the installer multiple times
When you start the installer, you can choose one or more features to install at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the features in the BMC Service Level Management solution. For example, you can rerun the installer multiple times to perform the following tasks:
- Install additional language packs
- Apply multitenancy updates after you customize the multitenancy model and reconcile the customizations
- Provision to install BMC Service Level Management Collector on a different computer after you install BMC Service Level Management Primary Server.
- If you plan to use BMC Service Level Management 9.0 with BMC Remedy IT Service Management (BMC Remedy ITSM), you must install BMC Remedy ITSM 9.0 and the latest BMC Remedy ITSM patches before installing BMC Service Level Management.
The product patches include the full BMC Remedy ITSM installation. Check for patches before you install BMC Remedy ITSM by going to the . You must have a support contract to download patches.
- If you already have BMC Service Request Management installed and you want to install BMC Service Level Management, you must first install BMC Remedy ITSM 9.0 Foundation. To do so, you must install at least one of the BMC Remedy ITSM 9.0 applications. You do not need to use BMC Remedy ITSM applications in this scenario; therefore, you do not need corresponding BMC Remedy ITSM user licenses.
- To significantly reduce installation time, do not install products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
During a fresh installation of BMC Remedy ITSM, if you do not select any of the ITSM applications (Help Desk, Change Management, Knowledge Management or Asset Management) and install BMC Service Request Management 9.0, selecting Yes on the Multi-tenancy Information panel. Then if you are installing BMC Service Level Management 9.0, you should select Yes on the Multi-tenancy Information panel (The Multi-tenancy Information panel having message: Previously, you indicated there were Multi-tenancy model customizations).
- Download the BMC Service Level Management installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- (UNIX) If you are running the installer as a nonroot user, perform the steps listed in Preparing to install as a nonroot user, before you start the installer.
- Start the installer:
- (Windows) Run setup.exe.
- (UNIX) Log in as root or nonroot and run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter the administrator name and password, and modify them as needed.
- Review the server name alias.
- Review the TCP port for the AR System server.
When set to the default of 0, the portmapper assigns the port. To use a different port number, see in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
- Review the default installation directory, and navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Service Level Management.
The default locations are as follows:
- (Windows) C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceLevelManagement
- (UNIX and Linux) /opt/bmc/BMCServiceLevelManagement
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features (such as BMC Service Level Management, Primary Server, and so on).
An additional panel displays after entering admin user details and install directory. This panel includes the following options:
Add language packs
To install BMC Service Level Management on a secondary server, select the Re-install application option.
Select Primary Server to install on a standalone AR System server or to install on the primary AR System server in a server group environment.
Do not select this box when installing BMC Service Level Management on a secondary server in a server group environment.
Standard Service Level Management AR Integrations are selected by default.
- Click Next.
The Multi-Tenancy Workflow Customization Information panel is displayed if you meet all the conditions.
Carefully review the following multitenancy options. Depending on the conditions, you might see three different sets of questions and corresponding options.
Did you customize the multi-tenancy model for any of the installed applications?
You always see this question the first time you run the installer.
- Click Yes if you customized the multitenancy model. The update is not applied.
- Click No to apply the update, because you did not customize the model.
Did you reconcile the customizations?
You see this question because you previously indicated there were multitenancy model customizations.
- Click Yes to apply the update if you reconciled the customizations.
- Click No to defer the multitenancy updates to a later time. You must first reconcile your customizations to the multitenancy model. You can then rerun the installer to apply the multitenancy update, or you can manually apply the multitenancy updates. For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
Applying the Multi-Tenancy service pack takes a significant amount of time. Do you want to apply it now?
You see this question only if you have hit the threshold of more than 20,000,000 records. If you do not hit the 20,000,000 record threshold, the message does not appear.
- Click Yes to apply the update now.
- Click No to apply the update later.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
- If the utility encounters any errors, you must fix the underlying problems before you can manually run the multitenancy utility later.
- If you do not see any errors, the multitenancy update was successful.
For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
- In the Remote Service Level Management Collector Information panel, select one of the following options, and then click Next:
- No Remote Collector (default) if you do not plan to use performance-monitoring service targets.
- Use Remote Collector to install Collector on a different computer—Enter the name of the remote computer and the port number (8080).
- Enter the values from the planning spreadsheet for the features you want to install.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your inputs, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are nearly finished with the BMC Service Level Management installation.
- Click Install.
The installer installs the BMC Service Level Management features you have selected. After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- Windows: C:\Users\<installUser>\AppData\Local\Temp\BMC Service Level Management_install_log.txt
- UNIX or Linux: /tmp/BMC Service Level Management_install_log.txt
- Close the log when you are finished.
- Click Done to exit the BMC Service Level Management installer.