Installing BMC Service Level Management Collector
To use performance or SIM-based service targets, you must install the BMC Service Level Management Collector.
The Collector is an optional component and can be omitted if you do not need to create performance or SIM-based service targets.
Using the Collector requires a supported application server or servlet engines; for example, Apache Tomcat. The application server or servlet engine implements the Java servlets and allows for the execution of a Java web server environment.
The following topics are provided:
When you start the installer, you can choose one or more features to install at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the applications in the BMC Service Level Management solution. For example, you can rerun the installer multiple times to install additional language packs.
With Service pack 1 and later Java SE 8_u45 is supported.
- Ensure that Oracle JRE 1.7 update 55 or higher is installed.
- Install BMC Service Level Management Collector on a computer other than the one on which the BMC Service Level Management Primary Server is installed.
When you installed BMC Service Level Management Primary Server, you selected Use Remote Collector so that you can install the Collector on this computer.
When installing BMC Service Level Management Collector:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
- To significantly reduce installation time, do not install products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- Download the BMC Service Level Management installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- (UNIX) If you are running the installer as a nonroot user, perform the steps listed in Preparing to install as a nonroot user, before you start the installer.
- Start the installer:
- (Windows) Run setup.exe.
(UNIX) Log in as root or nonroot, and run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter the administrator name and password.
- Enter the AR System Server name alias.
- Review the TCP port for the AR System server.
When set to the default of 0, the portmapper assigns the port. To use a different port number, see in the BMC Remedy AR System online documentation.
- Review the default installation directory.
Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Service Level Management. The default locations are as follows:
- (Windows) C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceLevelManagement
- (UNIX and Linux) /opt/bmc/BMCServiceRequestManagement
- Click Next.
In the Application Overwrite Selection panel, select Reinstall SLM Application (the default) and then click Next.
This panel appears because BMC Service Level Management is already registered.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features (such as BMC Service Level Management, Primary Server, and so on).
- In the Application Overwrite Session panel, select Reinstall SLM Application and then click *Next.
- In the features panel, deselect all the other features and select only Service Level Management Collector.
- Click Next.
- In the Service Level Management Collector Information panel, perform the following actions:
- Select the application server you installed.
- Browse to the web application root; for example, C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat6.0\webapps.
- Enter the port number; for example, 8080.
- Browse to the JRE directory.
- Click Next.
- In the BMC Collector Service Selection panel, select to install as a service (default) or not, and then click Next.
If you do not install Collector as a service, you must manually start it manually every time you restart the server.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your inputs, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are close to the completion of the BMC Service Level Management installation.
- Click Install.
The installer installs the BMC Service Level Management features you have selected. After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the BMC Service Level Management installer.
- Before you log on to the AR System server, flush the Mid Tier cache and your browser cache.
in the BMC Remedy ITSM documentation.