Installing BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
Before you begin
Before you perform the installation, consider the following:
- Only a fresh installation of BMC Remedy Smart Reporting is available.
- BMC recommends that you install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting and BMC Remedy AR System Server on different machines.
- Make sure that the BMC Remedy AR Server and BMC Remedy Smart Reporting server hostname are added to the /etc/hosts file. Any issues with the IP host resolution will cause the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting onboarding to fail.
- It is recommended that you install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting before BMC Remedy ITSM but, onboard only after BMC Remedy ITSM, BMC Service Request Management, and BMC Service Level Management installation.
- The BMC Remedy Smart Reporting version must be the same as the BMC Remedy AR System server version installed. For example, if you have BMC Remedy AR Server version 9.0 installed, you must installed BMC Remedy Smart Reporting version 9.0. The same rule applies for Service Pack 1 for version 9.0.
- To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
When installing BMC Remedy Smart Reporting:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
- With Service pack 1 and later, you can use an external Apache tomcat. Recommended version is 7.0.59 or later.
To install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
- Download the BMC Remedy AR System installer from the Electronic Product Download (EPD) site, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, ARSuiteKitWindows.zip or ARSuiteKitLinux.zip).
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Products selection panel, perform the following actions:
- Select Install.
- Select BMC Remedy Smart Reporting and clear the other options.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install the BMC Remedy AR System application.
The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\SmartReporting (Windows) and/opt/bmc/ARSystem/SmartReporting (UNIX or Linux).
- Click Next.
Enter the values from the planning spreadsheet for the features that you want to install.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your input. The Installation Preview panel then appears, listing the product and features that will be installed.
If you are using the SQL database for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting, make sure you complete the Microsoft SQL database configuration as described at Configuring the Microsoft SQL Server. Database validation will fail if the database is configured incorrectly.
Ensure that you drop all the tables from the existing Smart Reporting database. This will clear all the duplicate entries and the installation is completed without any errors. For example, in the Configuration table, the DEFAULTENTRYPAGE entry occurs multiple times..
- Click Next.
The installer installs the feature. After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review any SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- When you are finished reviewing the log, close it.
- Click Done to exit the AR System installer.
After the installation is complete, a BMC Remedy Smart Reporting super Administrator user is created. The default user name is siadmin.
Where to go from here
- Installing BMC Remedy AR System using silent mode
- from the BMC Remedy ITSM online documentation. Note: Onboard BMC Remedy Smart Reporting after you install BMC Remedy ITSM.
- from the BMC Remedy AR System online documentation.