Installing BMC Remedy AR System 9.0.01.001
This topic provides instructions for downloading and installing the patch for BMC Remedy Action Request System 9.0 Service Pack 1.
- For more information about issues corrected in this patch, see .
- For more information about installation and upgrade issues corrected in this patch, see Platform installation and upgrade known and corrected issues.
- You must install Patch 1 immediately after upgrading to BMC Remedy AR System 9.0 Service Pack 1. Ensure that you do not upgrade any components before you install Patch 1.
- You can install this patch on 64-bit computers, not 32-bit.
- You must have installed BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System 9.0.01 before running patch installer.
- Patch 1 is cumulative, containing all of the fixes in Service Pack 1 for all of the components.
- When the AR System patch is being applied, the patch installer restarts the AR System server as part of the installation process.
- The 9.0 patch installer does not use the Install Anywhere Framework and is not affected by the
IATEMPDIRsystem variable. If the default %TEMP% directory has insufficient space, increase the available space or change its location.
- Ensure that all AR System objects have been released before you apply the patch.
- After you apply the patch to the BMC Remedy Mid Tier, flush the mid-tier cache and delete the content from the following folders:
- For a list of AR System files that are updated by Patch 1, download and unzip ARSystem90SP1Patch1FileList.zip. This zip file contains lists for all supported platforms.
Reviewing the patches currently installed on your computer
To review all the current patches installed on your computer, perform the following steps:
Open the Maintenance Tool (installed under C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\arsystem).
Click Browse to Log.
Scroll through the Navigation pane to find the <Product>InstalledConfiguration.xml file for the product patch that you installed. For example:
C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\ARSystemInstalledConfiguration.xml
Double-click the file to open it in the Maintenance Tool.
Click the Product Feature Map tab.
Under Updates, review the patches installed on your computer (for example, Patch 001).
You can also review all the current patches installed on your computer from the following locations:
- Server Information form
- BMC Remedy Mid Tier 9.0 (http://<server>:8080/arsys/shared/config/config.jsp)
- BMC Remedy Developer Studio 9.0
- Patch install log for installed patches
Installing the patch and reviewing the results
The patch installer determines which modules are already installed on the target computer and then applies the patches only to those modules. For example, if you run the AR System patch installer on a computer that is running only the AR System server, then only the fixes the relevant to the AR System server are applied.
(Click the image to expand it.)
To install the patch and review the results
- Download the patch installer from the BMC Electronic Product Download site, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the patch installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run the setup.exe.
- For UNIX, log on as root and run setup.bin.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
On the Patch contents panel, open the URL to review what is included in the patch, and then click Next.
On the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, review the AR System server values, and then click Next.
- If you have the BMC Remedy AR System server installed on the computer and the value of the environment variable BMC_AR_SYSTEM_HOME is set to the specified location where the AR System server is installed, the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel will be displayed.
- If you have only installed BMC Remedy Mid Tier or BMC Remedy Smart Reporting on the computer, the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel will not be displayed.
- For other instances when BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel will not be displayed, see Issue ID SW00491184.
(Click the image to expand it.)
On the Installation Preview panel, review the list of components that are updated after installing the patch, and then click Install.
When the patch installation is finished and the Installation Summary panel appears, click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues.
The installation log is located in the %TEMP% folder of your computer. For example:
Close the log when you finish.
Click Done to exit the patch installer.
Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
To install the patch on a server group
To install the patch on a server group, perform the following steps:
- Shut down all of the non-administrator servers in the server group.
- Remove the administrator server from the load balancer.
- On the administrator server, install the patch by following the instructions that are provided in Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable the administrator server on the load balancer.
- On each of the non-administrator servers, perform the following steps:
- Start the BMC Remedy AR System service.
- Install the patch by following the instructions that are provided in Installing the patch and reviewing the results.
- Enable the server on the load balancer.
Performing a silent installation
Use the Maintenance Tool to create an encrypted password.
Create a text file called Options.txt and add the following options that correspond to user inputs.
-J BMC_AR_USER=<AR System Admin User> -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=<AR System User Password> -J BMC_AR_PORT=<AR System TCP Port> -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=<Server Alias>
-J BMC_AR_USER=Demo -J BMC_AR_PASSWORD=DES\:51208e44b3bc2f3808839e457d4e2050 -J BMC_AR_PORT=0 -J BMC_AR_SERVER_NAME=vw-sjc-aus-idd04
Open a command window and navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
Run the installer with the
setup.exe -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>\Options.txt
setup.bin -i silent -DOPTIONS_FILE= <pathToFile>/Options.txt
You must use an absolute path to the Options.txt file.
- Use the Maintenance Tool to review the patch information.
Reconciling your customizations
For information on reconciling your customization, see Reconciling AR customizations. Make sure to perform the mandatory step of reconciling after an upgrade with overlays already present.