Downloading the installation files
This topic explains how to obtain the files that you need for installation from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) site. To understand which files you are entitled to download based on the licenses that you purchased, see in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation. This topic contains the following sections:
To download the installation files
When viewing a product suite's latest version in EPD, you see only the components (including licensed add-ons) that are covered under the licenses associated with your Support ID or EPD profile.
The installation program for the full product includes the latest service packs and patches. If you have just installed the product for the first time, you do not need to apply service packs or patches before you begin using the product. When new service packs and patches are released, you will perform an upgrade of the product to apply the latest changes.
When you upgrade the product, you must install the latest service pack (if available) and then apply the latest patch. After the main release, only the latest service pack is a full installation. Patches are not full installations and must be applied over the latest full installation. For example, say that you want to install release 8.1.02. This release is a full installation and contains release 8.1.01 along with enhancements made in Service Pack 2. You must then apply the latest patch released after 8.1.02, which contains the most recent fixes as well as the fixes from the previous patch. For example, Patch 002 also includes the fixes for Patch 001; you do not need to apply Patch 001 before you apply Patch 002.
Create a directory in which to place the downloaded files.
NoteOn Microsoft Windows computers, ensure that the directory is only one level into the directory structure. The EPD package creates a directory in the temporary directory when you extract the files, and the directory that contains the installation image must not be in a directory deeper than two levels into the directory structure.
- Go to .
- At the logon prompt, enter your user ID and password, and click Submit.
- On the Export Compliance and Access Terms page, provide the required information, agree to the terms of the agreements, and click Continue.
- If you are accessing this site for the first time, create an EPD profile to specify the languages and platforms that you want to see, per the EPD site help ; otherwise, go to step 6.
- Verify that the correct profile is displayed for your download purpose, and click Go to Licensed ProductsView.
- Search for BMC Remedy IT Service Management Suite
- Search for the required <Product Name> from the list of available products. For example, BMC Remedy AR System Server.
- Expand the list using the plus symbol (+) next to the required product name, to list the available versions of the product. For example, select BMC Remedy AR System Server to show available versions.
- Select the check boxes next to the installation files, documentation, and (if available) associated prerequisites and technical bulletins that you want to download.
- Select one of the following options:
- Download (FTP)—Places the selected items in an FTP directory. The credentials and FTP instructions are sent to you in an email message.
- Download Manager—Enables you to download multiple files consecutively and to resume an interrupted download if the connection is dropped.
This method requires a one-time installation of the Akamai NetSession client program on the target computer and is usually the faster and more reliable way to transfer files. A checksum operation automatically verifies file integrity.