Recommendations for upgrading BMC Remedy AR System
Review the following recommendations before upgrading BMC Remedy AR System:
- Complete the planning spreadsheet before you start the upgrade.
- To significantly reduce installation time, do not install products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- For best results, install BMC Remedy Mid Tier on a separate computer from the BMC Remedy AR System server.
- Backup the database:
- Before upgrading, back up the existing installation (including the database) in case you need to restore the original installation.
- When you select the Upgrade option, the BMC Remedy AR System server upgrades all components listed under BMC Remedy AR System server in the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite components and installers topic. Ensure that you backup any customizations that you have made to these components before you select the Upgrade option; otherwise, you will lose the customizations.
- Ensure that the server can be resolved to a server alias. If you are installing more than one server on a computer, ensure that each server has a unique server alias.
- Determine the ports that you will use.
Verify if you have installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (64-bit).
The installer checks whether Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (64-bit) is installed on the computer. If this version is not present, the installer installs the required version.
- You can upgrade only from version 6.3.00 and later versions.
To upgrade from a version earlier than 6.3.00, first upgrade to version 6.3.00 by using the 6.3.00 installer, and then run the current installer.
If you are upgrading from version 6.3.00 or 7.0.01, you must upgrade to version 7.1.00, and then upgrade to version 8.1.00.
- Before you upgrade the BMC Remedy AR System server, ensure that you have a valid AR Server license; that is, the BMC Remedy AR System server must be licensed. For a staging server, get a new license for the staging server's host ID and apply that before backing up the database.
- If you are upgrading from a version earlier than 7.1.00, export the licenses from your existing BMC Remedy AR System server before you begin the upgrade process. (If you import the licenses from a different computer, you might need to provide the BMC Remedy AR System server host ID to obtain the license key.)
- If you are upgrading from a version earlier than version 7.5.00, you must provide the same installation directory that was used in the installation; for example:
- If you installed BMC Remedy AR System 7.1.00 in /usr/ar, enter /usr/ar during the upgrade process.
- If you installed BMC Remedy AR System 7.1.00 in /usr/ar/<hostName>, enter /usr/ar/<hostName> during the upgrade process.
- (For 64-bit BMC Remedy AR System server on 64-bit operating system) Before upgrading a 32-bit BMC Remedy AR System server to a 64-bit server, ensure that you install a 64-bit database client on the same computer where you are upgrading the BMC Remedy AR System server.
- If you are upgrading from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version of BMC Remedy AR System, you have a 32-bit version of BMC Atrium CMDB Suite. You must also upgrade the BMC Atrium CMDB Suite to the version that is x64 compatible. (On all platforms except Microsoft Windows, the first 64-bit version was 7.5.00, and there are no 32-bit versions as of that release. For Windows, the first 64-bit version was 7.6.x, and there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of that and subsequent releases.)
- While upgrading the BMC Remedy AR System server, you might receive
ARERR 9130error, which you can ignore. This error occurs when Java 1.5 or 1.6 is used in both the old and new versions of the server. When you restart the BMC Remedy AR System server after the upgrade is complete, this error message will not reappear.
- To add a BMC Remedy AR System server 7.5.00 or later to an environment in which a BMC Remedy AR System server 7.1.00 or earlier is already installed, you must first change the value of the Multiple-ARSystem-Servers option from F to T in the configuration file of BMC Remedy AR System server 7.1.00 or earlier. Otherwise, the installation of BMC Remedy AR System server 7.5.00 or later will fail. (In UNIX, the configuration file is ar.conf. In Windows, it is ar.cfg.)