Performing the BMC Service Level Management upgrade
The BMC Service Level Management installer enables you to upgrade BMC Service Level Management in your IT environment.
During installation, the Multi-tenancy Workflow Customization Information panel appears if you:
- Previously installed the 8.1 versions of BMC Remedy IT Service Management and BMC Service Request Management
- Are installing BMC Service Level Management on a primary server in a server group.
- Are installing BMC Service Level Management on a standalone AR System server.
Running the installer multiple times
When you start the installer, you can choose one or more features to install at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the features in the BMC Service Level Management solution. During upgrades, you can re-run the installer multiple times to:
- Install additional language packs.
- Apply the multi-tenancy update after you customized the multi-tenancy model and reconciled the customizations.
- Add new components (for example, add Collector).
Before you begin
- Install Atrium Integrator 8.1 before you upgrade BMC Service Level Management 8.1.
- the 8.1 version of Full Text Search on the AR System server.
- Review the warnings and BMC recommendations described in Installing BMC Service Level Management .
- If you customized BMC Service Level Management, especially the Multi-Tenancy model, review the information in from the BMC Service Level Management online documentation. Reconcile the Multi-Tenancy customizations before you start the upgrade.
To upgrade BMC Service Level Management
- Download the BMC Service Level Management installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the \ServiceLevelManagement\Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For version 8.1 SP1 or earlier:
- (Windows) Run setup.cmd.
(UNIX) Log on as root or nonroot and run setup.sh.
For version 8.1 SP2 or later:
- (Windows) Run setup.exe.
(UNIX) Log on as root or nonroot and run setup.bin.
- For version 8.1 SP1 or earlier:
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputspanel, perform the following actions:
- Enter the administrator name and password.
- Review the server name alias.
- Review the TCP port for the AR System server.
When set to 0, which is the default, the portmapper assigns the port. To use a different port number, see in BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
- Review the default installation directory.
Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Service Level Management. The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceLevelManagement (Windows) and /opt/bmc/BMCServiceRequestManagement (UNIX and Linux).
- Click Next.
- On the Overlay Informationpanel, perform the following actions:
Review the important information provided.
If you performed customizations that are not in an overlay or custom object and you want to preserve them, click Cancel to stop the upgrade. After you created overlays or custom objects, start the upgrade.
- If you did not perform customizations or you do not want to preserve them, click the check box to accept the agreement.
The installer overwrites all customizations during the upgrade.
- Click Next
- In the Localized Views and Data panel, select any additional localized views and data to install, and then click Next.
The Multi-Tenancy Information panel is displayed if you met all the conditions.
Review the following multi-tenancy options carefully.
Depending on the conditions, you might see three different sets of questions and corresponding options.
Did you customize the multi-tenancy model for any of the installed applications?
You always see this question the first time that you run the installer.
- Click Yes if you customized the multi-tenancy model. The update is not applied.
- Click No to apply the update, because you did not customize the model.
Did you reconcile the customizations?
You see this question because you previously indicated there were multi-tenancy model customizations.
- Click Yes to apply the update if you reconciled the customizations.
- Click No to defer the multi-tenancy updates to a later time. You must first reconcile your customizations to the multi-tenancy model. You can then re-run the installer to apply the multi-tenancy update. Or you can manually apply the multi-tenancy updates. For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
Applying the Multi-Tenancy service pack takes a significant amount of time. Do you want to apply it now?
You only see this question if you have hit the threshold of more than 20,000,000 records. If you do not hit the 20,000,000 record threshold, the message does not appear.
- Click Yes to apply the update now.
- Click No to apply the update later.
- Click Next to continue with the installation.
- If the utility encounters any errors, you must fix the underlying problems before you can manually run the multi-tenancy utility later.
- If you do not see any errors, the multi-tenancy update is successful.
For more information, see Update to the multi-tenancy model.
The installer validates your inputs, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are nearly finished with the BMC Service Level Management installation.
- Click Install.
The installer installs the BMC Service Level Management features you have selected. After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the BMC Service Level Management installer.