Performing data migration of backend and custom forms
The following topics are provided:
Forms that have minimal or no data model changes between versions
The following forms have minimal or no data model changes between versions (these forms are usually the largest):
- All Audit log system forms; for example, HPD:HelpDesk_AuditLogSystem
- NTE Notifier Log
- FB Flashboard History
- Worklog or workinfo (or both) (after fixing field lengths at database level)
- All custom forms with large data
To perform data migration of backend and custom forms
- Determine which forms' data you want to migrate.
Typically, these forms will be the largest forms, with having minimal or no data model changes between versions.
- Get the schema IDs for the forms.
Compare the descriptions of the T, B, and H tables between the source and destination servers.
Make a record of the columns that will need to be modified or added. Look for a field length change; for example, see if you need to increase a field length to accommodate the field’s data if length of the same field is more in the source server.
- Export the source tables.
Ensure that you also export the attachment tables (BxxCyyyyyyyyy) if any exist for the form.
- Rename the destination tables to prevent them from being overwritten.
- Import the source tables to the destination database.
- Modify or add the columns identified in step 3.
- Rebuild the views.
- Recreate the indexes on the T, B, and H tables after dropping them from the originals on the destination. You need to use the same table names.
- Verify the tables.
- Remove the backup tables you created in step 5.
This example discusses the migration of the data in the NTE:Notifier Log:TXXX form. The data is migrated between Oracle databases.
Export tables from the source database by running the following command:
expdp system/password schemas=aradmin parallel=7 tables=txxx,bxxx,hxxx directory=dpump_dir dumpfile=ddm%U.expdp logfile=ddm_expdp.log
- Stop all BMC Remedy AR System servers that connect to the destination database.
For each table to be migrated, identify existing indexes. (You can add the output to a script later if you decide you want to recreate the indexes.)
Run the following command:
select dbms_metadata.get_ddl('INDEX',index_name,'ARADMIN') from dba_indexes where table_name in ('T955','B955','H955') and owner = 'ARADMIN';
- Drop the indexes from the tables on the destination database. This action will prevent conflicts when you import the indexes.
Rename the tables on the destination database by running the following command:
rename txxx to txxx_backup; rename bxxx to bxxx_backup; rename hxxx to hxxx_backup;
Import the tables to the destination database.
impdp system/password schemas=aradmin parallel=4 directory=dpump_dir dumpfile=ddm%U.expdp logfile=ddm_impdp.log
- Start the BMC Remedy AR System server for this database.
Using Dev Studio, recreate the DB views for each of the forms.
Choose any field, move it, move it back, click Save.
- Query the forms from the BMC Remedy Mid Tier and verify the data and total counts on the forms.