Installing Drift Management with the CLI installer
This procedure describes how to install Drift Management using the command-line interface (CLI) installer on Windows and UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, HP-UX Itanium, AIX, or Linux).
The Drift Management installer verifies that your system meets the minimum prerequisites. Before you install, ensure the BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System server meets the minimum hardware requirements. For product compatibility information, see the Customer Support website at . Installing applications on an underpowered server might result in unexpected system behavior, including installation errors, slow response, and sudden application stoppages.
To install Drift Management using the CLI installer
Start the Drift Management installer executable on the server that is running AR System, based on your operating system.
You cannot perform a remote installation.
The location from which you run this executable file depends on how you received the application.
If you are installing on Windows:
- If your files are on a DVD, type BMCCDMSetup.exe -i console from a command line, and then press ENTER.
If you downloaded the application from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) site, access the executable file from the top level of the working directory. This is the directory that you created to hold the files you extracted after downloading them.
From the directory's root folder where you downloaded the application, type BMCCDMSetup.exe -i console from a command line, and then press ENTER.
After a brief interval, the Drift Management installer program appears in a new console window.
After some brief initialization messages appear, the Introduction prompt appears. The Drift Management installer also checks the available temp space on your system. If sufficient temp space is not available, the installation stops.
If you are installing on UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, HP-UX Itanium, AIX, or Linux):
- Run a Telnet session to the UNIX server where you are installing Drift Management.
- Mount the DVD on the UNIX system.
Or, if you are installing files from the EPD site, change to the working directory that contains the application files you downloaded, and uncompress them.
- From the directory's root folder where you downloaded the application, ensure that you have full read, write, and execute access to the BMCCDMSetup.bin executable.
- Type ./BMCCDMSetup.bin -i console from a command line, and then press ENTER.
After some brief initialization messages appear, the Introduction prompt appears.
- Press ENTER to continue with the installation.
- At the licensing prompt, press ENTER.
You must continue to press ENTER to scroll through the entire licensing agreement.
- Type Y and press ENTER to accept the terms of the BMC license agreement.
The Product Feature Selection prompt appears.
Type 1 and press ENTER to install the BMC Configuration Drift Management application.
The AR System Server Settings prompt appears.
Installing Drift Management with CLI--Choosing AR System server
You can run the Drift Management installer more than once to install various combinations of the applications or their options as needed, or even run the installer on top of an existing installation. For example, you can first install Drift Management, and then later run the Drift Management installer a second time if you must install the Change Management or Incident Management extensions to Drift Management. However, the installation program prevents you from installing the Change Management Extension if Drift Management is not already installed.
- Enter the AR System server settings:
- At the AR System Server Settings prompt, type 1 and then press ENTER.
If your system has multiple instances of the AR System server installed on it, a list of available instances is provided. Type the number that corresponds to the instance (for example, 1 for server instance MPL-ESX-VM29, as shown in Installing Drift Management with CLI--Choosing AR System server) and press ENTER.
- At the TCP port for the selected AR System server prompt, press ENTER to accept the default value.
If Portmapper was not used when the AR System server was installed, or if you want to specify a port explicitly to go through a firewall, type the TCP value and press ENTER.
- At the User Name prompt, type the AR System server administrator's ID and press ENTER. The default ID for new installations is Demo, with no password.
At the Password prompt, type the AR System server administrator's password and press ENTER.
To keep AR System secure, add a password for the AR System administrator as soon as possible, if you have not done so already.
The installer validates if your AR System server user input settings are correct. If they are not, you must enter the correct information before the installation can continue.
The Drift Management Components Selection prompt appears. When you are installing the Drift Management application, you can also install various extensions, as needed.
- At the AR System Server Settings prompt, type 1 and then press ENTER.
- Select one or more of the following Drift Management options:
- Type 1 and then press ENTER to install the Drift Management application on your system.
- Type 2 and then press ENTER to integrate Drift Management with BMC Remedy Change Management. The installer checks the system dependencies and does not let you select this option if Drift Management is not already installed on your system.
- Type 3 and then press ENTER to integrate Drift Management with BMC Remedy Incident Management. The installer checks the system dependencies and does not let you select this option if Drift Management is not already installed on your system.
To install different combinations, type the numbers as comma-separated values (for example, 1,2,3) and then press ENTER.
If the installer detects that you have already installed these components, you are prompted to reinstall them.
The Choose Install Folder prompt appears.
At the Choose Install Folder prompt, press ENTER to accept the default directory, or type the path to the installation directory to use.
By default, the install folder is /usr/arsystem/<ARS-server-name>/BMC_Configuration_Drift_Management (for UNIX) and C:\Program Files\AR System Applications\<ARS-server-name>\BMC Configuration Drift Management (for Windows).
The Prerequisites stage occurs. The installer checks if your system meets basic hardware requirements (for example, sufficient hard disk space and physical memory). For more information, see Hardware requirements.
BMC recommends that your system have at least 2 GB minimum of RAM but 4 GB is recommended. If your system has only 1 GB, the installer does not let you proceed. The installer prompts you with a warning message if you have less than 2 GB RAM installed on your system.
- If your system passes these basic prerequisites, press ENTER to move to the Application Requirements Check stage.
If your system fails, you must quit the installer, fix the problems, and then rerun the installer.
- At the Application Requirements Check prompt, press ENTER if your system has met the basic software requirements.
The prompt shows you the installed versions of AR System, BMC Atrium CMDB, and applications, the minimum required versions, and the status of your system (if your system has passed).
If your system fails, you must fix the problems before you can continue.
- If you are sure that your system has passed the hardware and software prerequisites, press ENTER to continue.
The verification takes place.
Press ENTER to continue.
The Pre-Install Important Note prompt appears.
This prompt reminds you that the installer restarts the AR System server during the installation phase. This can cause an inconvenience to your users, so plan your installation accordingly. In addition, you must install the compatible version of the BMC Remedy AR System Mid Tier for Drift Management to work properly.
- Press Y to continue.
The Pre-Installation Summary prompt appears.
- Review the summary information. If you are satisfied that the information is correct, press ENTER to continue with the actual installation.
The installer shows you the progress of the applications and components as they are being installed. After all files are copied and the workflow is loaded, the Install Complete prompt appears.
- Press ENTER to exit the installer.
The installer creates the BMC_Configuration_Drift_Management_InstallLog.log file. Review this file and the other installation logs for any error or warning messages.
- When the installation process is finished, including a reinstallation of Drift Management, use the BMC Remedy Mid Tier Configuration Tool to flush the Mid Tier cache.
For more information, see in BMC Remedy AR System online documentation.
- Stop and restart the web server.
- Open Drift Management.
For information, see Opening Drift Management from the IT Home Page.