Generating a difference report using the BPCU
Run the Best Practice Conversion Utility (BPCU) in ReportDiff mode to compare objects between the overlay hash file and an BMC Remedy AR System server, and generate difference reports.
You need to determine which objects have been modified in ways that are not permitted in overlays. For any such objects, this can prevent an application upgrade from succeeding, if the upgrade affects that object.
Running the BPCU in ReportDiff mode allows you to determine such modifications, and to make the necessary corrections before upgrading any applications. It compares the current objects to a set of base objects that are defined in an overlay hash file.
- At the command prompt, go to the <utilityInstallDir>\Best_Practice_Conversion_Utility directory
- Run BPCU in ReportDiff mode by executing the following command with the appropriate arguments (see the following table)
- Microsoft Windows: bpcu.bat
- UNIX: bpcu.sh
Following is an example of the command syntax
bpcu -x localhost -t serverport -u Demo -p "DemoPassword" -m D -f "<hashFileLocation>\OverlayHashFile.xml"
Command-line options for ReportDiff modeClick here to expand...
-x Name of the server on which to perform the operation.
(optional) User authentication string.
(optional) TCP port of the server on which to perform the operation.
(optional) RPC port of the server on which to perform the operation.
Absolute path to the overlay hash file (include full path and file name).
(optional) Full path to the XML file containing a list of objects to include in or to exclude from the operation.
This option does not apply to ReportDiff mode when two overlay hash files are compared.
(optional) Comma-separated list of form names whose associated fields and views are the only objects processed by the operation.
Do not use this option with the -s option.
(optional) File name and path of the difference report. Do not include a file extension.
If you do not provide a file name, the following name is used:
If you do not provide a path, the utility places the report file in theinstallationDir\Best_Practice_Conversion_Utility\output folder.
(optional) Format of the difference report. Values are:
- 0 — (Default) HTML
- 1 — CSV
- 2 — XLSX
(optional) Flag that specifies whether to include overlay and custom objects in the "extension" section of the difference report.
This option applies only to file-to-server comparisons. Values are:
- 0 — (Default) Exclude from extension section.
- 1 — Include in extension section.
Utility mode. Values are
(optional) Indicates whether to display or hide the list of objects that will be skipped in Overlay mode.
- 0 — (Default) Hide this list in the difference report.
- 1 — Display this list in the difference report.
- A BPCU difference report, bpcu-diff-report_date_timestamp.html, is generated and placed in the<utilityInstallDir>\Best_Practice_Conversion_Utility\output folder. The report is an HTML-formatted file that displays a list of the extensions and customizations in your setup, and indicates whether the extensions and customizations are permitted or non-permitted. The BPCU also generates some migrator .xml instruction files that are used in stage 5 of the upgrade process.