Viewing and collecting logs by using the Support Assistant tool
BMC provides the Support Assistant tool to view and collect BMC Helix Innovation Suite platform and service management application logs. Administrators can use the logs to analyze and debug issues. Use the Assistant tool to download and view the following logs:
- Trace logs
- Core dump and stack logs
- API logs
Before you begin
- Make sure that you have the cluster administrator and root user permissions to install the Support Assistant tool.
The Support Assistant tool container runs as root user.
- Make sure that you install the Assistant tool.
To install the Assistant tool, you must select the option to install the tool while performing the BMC Helix IT Service Management installation.
Learn about adding installing the Support Assistant tool at Performing the installation.
Accessing the Support Assistant tool
Use the following URL to access the Support Assistant tool:
For example, ade-poc-supportassisttool.dsmlab.bmc.com
The default local user credentials are as follows:
To change the password, update the BMC Helix Single Sign-On local user password. Learn about how to change a local user password at
You can also log in to the Assistant tool by using an Action Request System user credentials. To access the Assistant tool, you must add the Action Request System user for authentication. Learn about how to configure AR authentication at .
To download a log file
- Log in to the Support Assistant tool.
- To download all log files, in the Namespace column, click the download icon corresponding to the namespace.
The following images shows an example:
- To download component logs, in the Namespace column, double-click the namespace for which you want to download logs.
- In the pane, separate folders for each platform and application components are available, click the folder of the component for which you want to download logs.
- In the Download pane, click the download icon corresponding to the folder name to download all logs.
The following image shows the download option:
- To download a directory in the folder, on the Directories tab, click the download icon corresponding to the directory name.
- To download a container logs in the folder, on the Containers tab, click the download icon corresponding to the container name.
While downloading logs, if you encounter an error related to fpack, verify that the worker nodes are running in your cluster.