Supported languages and locales
Localization is the process of adapting software for a specific region or language by adding locale-specific components and translating text. BMC Helix IT Service Management and all its components are designed considering localization. It includes internal support for different character sets and a full suite of features that enable administrators to produce localized applications.
In addition, support is provided for a locale model in which users can specify their language and formatting preferences to have the application delivered in the style that is the most useful to them. This model includes delivering to different users, simultaneously, the same application in multiple languages with different formatting.
You might want to use a third-party localization tool for translating to the localized versions that BMC does not support. If you encounter any issues with BMC Remedy while using a third-party localization tool to translate to the unsupported localized versions, contact BMC Software Customer Support. However, BMC does not support issues that you might encounter with un-translated text. For example, if you used a third-party localization tool to translate to Canadian French (fr_CA), and you encounter a UI element in English, BMC does not support the translation of the UI element to Canadian French. However, if BMC Atrium Core were to not function properly, you can contact BMC Software Customer Support to resolve the issue.
Supported localized versions
BMC Helix ITSM Suite supports the following localized versions:
United States of America
Supported character encodings
- Western Europe — Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish (Windows-1252)
- Central Europe — Albanian, Croatian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Serbian, Slovak, and Slovenian (Windows-1250)
- Cyrillic — Eastern European (Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Serbian, and Macedonian), Mongolian, and some Central Asian (Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tatar, Uzbek [HTMLUATarsPlanAndInstallFinal2:Windows-1251])
- Baltic — Estonian, Latvian, and Lithuanian (Windows-1257)
- Traditional Chinese (Big5)
- Simplified Chinese (GB2312)
- Japanese (Shift-JIS and EUC-JP)
- Korean (EUC-KR)
- Thai (Windows-874) — Windows only
- Unicode (UTF-8)
- Unicode (UTF-16)
Unicode is a superset of the other character sets supported by BMC Helix Innovation Suite.
- On Japanese operating systems, BMC Helix Innovation Suite supports JIS X 0201-1976 and JIS X 0208-1978 Shift-JIS character sets. However, because of a non-BMC Remedy limitation, some Japanese characters are not supported in browsers. (See http://www.w3.org/TR/japanese-xml/#ambiguity_of_yen for conversion issues from Shift-JIS to Unicode.)
- For Kanji, JIS Level 1 and Level 2 are supported.
- Gaiji (extended characters) is not supported. However, if Gaiji is used, data can be displayed incorrectly or be corrupted.
- On Japanese UNIX servers, Remedy AR System supports only the EUC character set.
Supported locales for BMC Helix ITSM: Smart Reporting
Remedy Smart Reporting supports the locales provided with BMC Helix Innovation Suite, except Russian (RU) and Korean (KO). Remedy Smart Reporting does not provide support for other locales. The following languages are supported:
United States of America
The language version of the forms and data installed with the BMC Helix Innovation Suite is relative to the language selected for the installation.
With BMC Helix Innovation Suite, the following forms are localized in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Korean, Brazilian Portuguese, and Simplified Chinese:
- Alert Events
- Alert List
- AP: Rejection Justification
- AP:More Information
- Approval Central
- AR System Customizable Home Page
- AR System Report Console
- AR System Report Designer
- AR System User Central File
- AR System User Preference
- Business Segment-Entity Association
- Business Time Holidays
- Business Time Segment
- Business Time Shared Entity
- Business Time Shared Entity-Entity Association_Join_Join
- Business Time Workdays
- Home Page
- RD:Save As
- User Password Change
- User Password Change Redirector
- User Password Management Configuration
If you deploy the BMC Helix Innovation Suite on an operating system set up for French, German, Italian, or Spanish, the listed forms contain views in these languages as well as English. For example, if you deploy the BMC Helix Innovation Suite on an Italian operating system, these forms contain views in English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. The data installed is the Italian data (if you chose that language's pack). All other language versions are also installed on your local drive and can be imported using Developer Studio and Remedy Data Import.
If you install the BMC Helix Innovation Suite on a Japanese operating system, the listed forms contain views in English and in Japanese. The data installed by default is in Japanese. Only English and Japanese definitions and data are installed on your local drive and can be imported using Developer Studio and Remedy Data Import.
Data language and display language
If all your users work and communicate using a single language, the data language and display language that they use are the same. However, if you have users in different locations using the same server (for example, users in England, France, and Germany), you must pick a common data language in which the users will enter and search for data. Typically, this data language is the most common across all your user locales.
You can choose only one data language for each application installation, and you select this language during application installation. This requirement guarantees that users in France can find requests created in Germany or England because they are working with data in their common language.