Installing BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
If you have not already done so, prepare to install Remedy Smart Reporting. To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over a WAN.
Before you begin
To install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting, ensure the following:
- (Unix non-root mode) You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- (Windows non-admin mode) You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
- The AR System server host name and the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting server host name must be added to the /etc/hosts file. Any issues with IP host resolution will cause BMC Remedy Smart Reporting onboarding to fail.
- For Smart Reporting to work correctly, make sure that Smart Reporting and AR System server are on the same version.
- Before installing Smart Reporting, you must update the context.xml file. For the list of supported Tomcat versions, see .
Before you perform the installation, consider the following best practices:
- BMC recommends that you install Remedy AR System server before you install Remedy Smart Reporting.
- BMC recommends that you install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting and BMC Remedy AR System server on different machines.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
To install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting with SQL database using Windows authentication
When installing BMC Remedy Smart Reporting with SQL database using Windows authentication, you must fulfill the following prerequisites:
When installing a service to run under a domain user account, the account must have the right to log on as a service on the local computer. This right strictly applies only to the local computer and it must be granted in the Local Security Policy.
To edit the Local Security Policy of the Windows computer on which you want to define the log on as a service permission:
- Log on to the computer with administrative privileges.
- In Control Panel, select System and Security > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy.
The Local Security Policy window is displayed.
- Under Security Settings, expand Local Policies and then click User Rights Assignment.
- In the right-pane, right-click Log on as a service and then click Properties.
The Log on as a service Properties dialog box is displayed.
- Click Add User or Group.
The Select Users, Computers, Service Accounts, or Groups dialog box is displayed.
- In the Enter the object names to select box, type an object name and then click OK.
- In the Log on as a service Properties dialog box, click OK.
Your changes are saved.
Ensure that the object name that you have added in the Enter the object names to select box is not listed in the Deny log on as a service policy under Local Security Policy.
Click the following video for a quick overview of the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting installation.
The video displays the Database Instance Name field on the installer screen at 3.10 minutes. However, from BMC Remedy Smart Reporting 9.1.02, the Database Instance Name field is removed from the installer screen. You must enter the port number related to the required instance in the Database Server Port field for the installer to automatically find the instance name.
To update the context.xml file
Perform the following steps before installing Remedy Smart Reporting:
- Go to the <tomcat installation directory>\conf\ context.xml.
Set the xmlBlockExternal to false in the Context parameter. For example:
Do not add a new Context xmlBlockExternal tag. You must update the existing tag as shown in the following table:
Before updating Recommended To be avoided
- Save the file.
- If you have installed the external Tomcat as a service you must set the Java heap size as following:
- Minimum: 1024
- Maximum: 2048
To install BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
- If you have not already done so, download the BMC Remedy AR System installer from the Electronic Product Download (EPD) site, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, ARSuiteKitWindows.zip or ARSuiteKitLinux.zip).
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Products selection panel, perform the following actions:
- Select Install.
- Select BMC Remedy Smart Reporting and clear the other options.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install the BMC Remedy AR System application.
The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\SmartReporting (Windows) and/opt/bmc/ARSystem/SmartReporting (UNIX or Linux).
- Click Next.
On the User Inputs panel, enter the Reporting Admin User ID and password.
On the Tomcat Deployment Directory Information panel, navigate to the folder where you have installed Apache Tomcat. For a Windows machine, wait for the Tomcat Service Name to get populated automatically, and click Next.
If the Tomcat Service Name is not automatically detected, ensure that the Tomcat service is created and running. Tomcat must be registered as a service for the installer to detect it.
For more information about installing the Tomcat services, see in the Apache Tomcat documentation.
Enter the values from the installation spreadsheet for the features that you want to install.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your input. The Installation Preview panel then appears, listing the product and features that will be installed.
- If you are using the SQL database for BMC Remedy Smart Reporting, make sure you complete the Microsoft SQL database configuration as described in the Configuring the Microsoft SQL Server topic. The database validation fails if the database is configured incorrectly.
- Ensure that you drop all the tables from the existing Smart Reporting database. This will clear all the duplicate entries and the installation is completed without any errors. For example, in the Configuration table, the
DEFAULTENTRYPAGEentry occurs multiple times.
- Do not use comma (,) or double quotes (") while setting a new password for the super admin user at the time of installation. However, you can use comma (,) or double quotes (") if you are changing the password of the super admin user after installation.
- Click Next.
The installer installs the feature. After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review any SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- When you are finished reviewing the log, close it.
- Click Done to exit the AR System installer.
After the installation is complete, a BMC Remedy Smart Reporting super Administrator user is created. The default user name and password is set to siadmin. We recommend that you change the default password. For information on changing the super admin password, see .
(Optional) Installing BMC Remedy Smart Reporting in silent mode
Connecting AR System data source with a replicated read-only AR database
If you want to keep the AR production database unaffected and yet allow BMC Remedy Smart Reporting users to continue with the reporting operations, you must connect your AR System data source with a read-only replicated AR database.
To avoid license update related issues, you must complete the user onboarding process by connecting with a read/write AR production database. After completing the user onboarding process, perform the following steps to connect your AR System data source with a read-only replicated AR database.
BMC Remedy Smart Reporting database must always be in read/write mode.
- Log in to Remedy Mid Tier as BMC Remedy Smart Reporting administrator.
- Navigate to Applications > BMC Remedy Smart Reporting > BMC Smart Reporting console.
- On the BMC Remedy Smart Reporting console, navigate to Administration > Admin console > Data sources.
- Click AR System connection.
- Under the Connection section, in the Host field, enter the AR Server host name which is connected to the read-only replicated AR database.
- Under the Test Connection section, click Click here to test connection to check if the connection works.
- Click Save to complete the connection setup.
Where to go from here
|Up to process|