Performing the BMC Service Level Management upgrade
Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to install all of the features in the BMC Service Level Management solution. Re-run the installer multiple times to install additional language packs.
Before you begin
the Full Text Search on the AR System server.
If you have not done so already, prepare the system to run the installers. If you want to run in nonadmin mode on Windows, see Preparing a Windows environment. If you want to run in nonroot mode on UNIX, see Preparing a UNIX environment.
To upgrade BMC Service Level Management
- If you have not already done so, download the BMC Service Level Management installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the installer and navigate to the \ServiceLevelManagement\Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter the administrator name and password.
- Review the server name alias.
- Review the TCP port for the AR System server and if needed, change to a different port number.
When set to 0, which is the default, the portmapper assigns the port. To use a different port number, see in the BMC Remedy AR System documentation.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Service Level Management.
The default locations are as follows:
- (Windows) C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCServiceLevelManagement
- (UNIX) /opt/bmc/BMCServiceRequestManagement
- Click Next.
- On the Overlay Information panel, perform the following actions:
Review the important information provided.
If you performed customizations that are not in an overlay or custom object and you want to preserve them, click Cancel to stop the upgrade. After you created overlays or custom objects, start the upgrade.
- If you did not perform customizations or you do not want to preserve them, click the check box to accept the agreement.
The installer overwrites all customizations during the upgrade.
- Click Next
In the Localized Views and Data panel, select any additional localized views and data to install, and then click Next.
- Click Install.
The installer installs the BMC Service Level Management features you have selected. After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the installer log for any errors or warnings.
The install logs are available at the following location:
- (Windows) C:\Users\<installUser>\AppData\Local\Temp\slm_install_log.txt
- (UNIX) /tmp/slm_install_log.txt
- Click Done to exit the BMC Service Level Management installer.
Troubleshooting the BMC Service Level Management upgrade
Consult the following topics for information about issues that you might encounter during the upgrade:
- Application installation and upgrade known and corrected issues
- Working with logs
- Troubleshooting data and workflow import issues
- Troubleshooting driver issues
- Troubleshooting BMC Service Level Management issues
When you upgrade BMC Service Level Management 7.x to a later version, you might receive the following error messages:
ERROR 338: Duplicate Entry ID found
ERROR 382: The value(s) for this entry violate a unique index that has been defined for this form
You can ignore these errors because they occur when the installer attempts to load data that already exists. For more information about these upgrade errors, see Knowledge Base article .