Upgrading the applications
After you upgrade the platform on all the servers in a server group, upgrade your existing Remedy applications.
Upgrading BMC Remedy ITSM, BMC Service Request Management, and BMC Service Level Management overwrites any application customizations that are not in overlays or are not custom objects. If you are upgrading from 7.6.04. or later, you should have already converted your application customizations to overlays. You will be asked to confirm whether you have converted in each application upgrade.
If you have not yet upgraded to 7.6.04, revisit the upgrade paths in Planning an upgrade.
Before you begin
- Beginning with 9.1.04, when you perform upgrade for the platform components, you must upgrade AR, Atrium, and Atrium Integrator on all the servers of a server group. The AR System Administration > Server Information form, Platform tab displays the Upgrade status as Done after you upgrade the platform components on all the servers of a server group. ITSM, SRM, and SLM cannot be upgraded unless the platform components have been upgraded on all servers in the server group.
- When you upgrade Remedy ITSM Suite to 9.1.00 or above, the upgrade process completes successfully but the BMC Remedy ITSM Maintenance tool > Install log displays an error regarding the CMDB extension loader. Error relevant to CMDB extension loader might occur if all of the following conditions are true:
- CMDB extension loader failed in the older version.
- You have manually created the CMDB extension.
As a workaround, before upgrading Remedy ITSM Suite to the latest version, update the Share:Application_Properties form as explained below:
- Open the Share:Application_Properties form.
- Search for Application ID = ID00C04FA081BAg7YTQwYNXncALwcA
- If the search results display the Failed Version property, delete the failed version.
- Update the failed State property to Successful.
- Click Save.
Remedy application upgrade process
Upgrade your Remedy applications in the recommended order for a staged or in-place upgrade. For each application upgrade, carefully review the pre-upgrade tasks and post-upgrade tasks that are part of each upgrade process.
|1.||Upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer.|
If BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer is installed, the installer upgrades the Process Designer Integration and Configuration Tool (PDICT) and the Process Designer server.
Upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer in the following order according to your version:
|2.||Upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM to version 18.05.|
Upgrades BMC Service Desk (includes BMC Incident Management and BMC Problem Management), BMC Asset Management, BMC Change Management, and BMC Knowledge Management.
If you are using BMC Digital Workplace and/or BMC Remedy with Smart IT, it is recommended that you upgrade the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite only after upgrading BMC Digital Workplace and upgrade Smart IT only after BMC Remedy ITSM is upgraded.
Note that if ITSM is upgraded to version 18.05, Smart IT also must be upgraded to 18.05, because Smart IT 2.0 and earlier will not work with ITSM 18.05.
The upgrade sequence is as follows:
|3.||Upgrade BMC Service Request Management to version 18.05.|
Upgrades BMC Service Request Management and the Data Visualization modules.
|4.||Upgrade BMC Service Level Management to version 18.05.|
Upgrades BMC Service Level Management.
|5.||Install the offline documentation||(Optional) If you are bound by a firewall or do not have internet access, install the latest offline Help content.|
|6.||Reconcile customizations, if any.||(Optional) Reconcile the customization of objects.|
|7.||Validate the upgrade|
Ensure that the upgrade is successful. Check the application install log files for successful installation message. For example, the BMC Remedy ITSM install log file located in the (Windows) TEMP or (UNIX) tmp folder shows the following message:
If there are upgrade related errors in the log; fix the errors and then proceed to the next step. For more information, see Troubleshooting.
|8.||Apply the application deployment packages to version 18.08||Apply the BMC Remedy ITSM, BMC Service Request Management, and BMC Service Level Management deployment packages.|
Where to go from here
|Next task||If it is installed, start with Performing the BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer upgrade. If not, start with Upgrading BMC Remedy ITSM.|
|Up to process|
When you have finished upgrading the applications, return to the appropriate upgrade process: