Preparing the AR System server for a server group upgrade
If you are upgrading a server group during an outage window, perform the instructions in this section before you upgrade.
However, if you are performing a zero-downtime upgrade of the platform, go to Preparing for zero-downtime upgrade of the platform.
- Before starting the upgrade, stop all the email engines running on the non-administrative AR servers. For instructions, see Starting and stopping the email engine.
- After setting up your upgrade servers in case of staged upgrade or before upgrading your production servers during an outage window, stop all the non-administrative AR servers. For instructions, see Starting and stopping the BMC Remedy AR System server.
Start the primary server and ensure that the AR System Server Group Operation Ranking form, the primary server Rank must be set to 1 and set the ranking for other administrative failover servers set to null (empty value).
If the ranking form is not auto-populated, manually add the entries for the primary server. To manually update the entries,
- Start the non-administrative servers one by one and ensure the following:
- Administration, CMDB, and Approval operations have the same ranking within a non-administrative server.
- In version 9.x or later, for each server in the server group ensure that the server-connect-name parameter of Centralized Configuration is auto-populated with the specific sever host name. This is required to uniquely identify each server in the server group. In versions prior to 9.x, ensure ar.cfg or ar.conf is populated with the server-connect-name set to the primary server.