Performing the BMC Remedy ITSM upgrade
When you start the installer, you can choose one or more applications or features to upgrade at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to upgrade all of the applications in the ITSM solution. For example, you might run the installer to first upgrade BMC Change Management, and then run the installer a second time to upgrade or perform a fresh install of BMC Knowledge Management. You can also run the installer separately to install additional language packs.
Before you begin
If you have not done so already, prepare the system to run the installers. If you want to run in nonadmin mode on Windows, see Preparing a Windows environment. If you want to run in nonroot mode on UNIX, see Preparing a UNIX environment.
To upgrade BMC Remedy ITSM
- If you have not already done so, download the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 18.05 installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
- Unzip the installer and navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.cmd.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
When installing the application on UNIX, BMC recommends performing the installation as a root user. However, you can perform the installation as a non-root user. If you choose to install the application as a non-root user, you must log on to the UNIX system under the same UNIX user ID that was used to install BMC Remedy AR System.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputs panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter the administrator name and password.
- Review the default installation directory.
Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy ITSM Suite. The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCRemedyITSMSuite (Windows) and/opt/bmc/BMCRemedyITSMSuite (UNIX or Linux).
- Click Next.
- In the Overlay Information panel, perform the following actions:
- Carefully review the warning.
The upgrade overwrites all customizations unless you create them in overlays or custom objects.
- Select the I understand and agree that proceeding from this point will overwrite any customizations that are not in overlays or in custom objects check box if you agree.
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of BMC applications (such as BMC Asset Management, BMC Change Management, and so on).
- Carefully review the warning.
Select one or more applications to install (by default, the entire ITSM suite is selected), and then click Next.
The installer checks the AR System server for valid ITSM licenses and validates other application dependencies (for example, the current version of the BMC Atrium CMDB).
- In the Installation preview panel, review the features that you are installing.
You are nearly finished with the ITSM installation.
- Click Install.
After postinstallation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
- (Windows) C:\Users\<installUser>\AppData\Local\Temp\bmcremedyitsmsuite_install_log.txt
- (UNIX or Linux) /tmp/bmcremedyitsmsuite_install_log.txt
- When you are done reviewing, close the log and click Done to exit the installer.
- Perform the following steps to flush the mid tier cache:
- Stop the mid tier service.
- Delete all content under the following directory: C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\midtier\PluginsCache\<ARSystemServer>.
- Restart the mid tier service.
- In the Mid Tier Configuration Tool, flush the mid tier cache.
- In the Mid Tier Configuration Tool, trigger the AR System server preload process.
For instructions on how to flush the cache and trigger the AR System server preload, see . See also .
Troubleshooting the BMC Remedy ITSM upgrade
If your upgrade fails at any point due to invalid field mappings in a join form, you must correct the invalid field mappings before you proceed with the upgrade. For more information, see Correcting invalid field mappings in join forms.
Consult the following topics for information about other issues that you might encounter during the upgrade:
Where to go from here
If you do not intend to use BMC Service Request Management or BMC Service Level Management, after performing the post-upgrade procedures for ITSM, apply the ITSM deployment package. For more information, see Applying a deployment package.
|Up to process|
If you have finished upgrading the applications, return to the appropriate upgrade process: