Performing the BMC Atrium CMDB upgrade
Upgrade BMC Atrium CMDB after you upgrade the BMC Remedy AR System server. The installer upgrades the following features:
- BMC Atrium CMDB
- Reconciliation Engine
- Normalization Engine
If BMC Atrium CMDB and BMC Atrium Core Web Services are on the same computer, both are upgraded together.
Although the installer is not expected to affect data directly during upgrade, the installer runs the following data operation that can increase the time to upgrade BMC Atrium CMDB depending on the data size:
The BMC Atrium Core installer populates the
MarketVersion attribute for existing product CIs in all datasets with the value that is set for the
VersionNumber attribute. BMC Remedy Asset Management version 7.6.03, and later, refers to the
MarketVersion attribute (instead of the
VersionNumber attribute) of a product CI to manage software licenses. The
VersionNumber attribute is still used in other areas of BMC Remedy Asset Management and BMC Remedy ITSM Suite version 7.6.03 and later.
Before you begin
If you have not done so already, perform the tasks in Preparing for the BMC Atrium Core upgrade.
To upgrade BMC Atrium CMDB
- While the upgrade is processing, you should not perform any Remedy AR System or Atrium CMDB administrative functions until the upgrade is complete for that system.
- When upgrading, disable the Record Object Relationships option from Administration Console > Configurations tab.
- If you have not already done so, download the BMC Atrium Core System installer from EPD, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.sh.
- In the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the AR System Server Information panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter AR System username and password.
- Enter AR System port number and host name.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Atrium CMDB.
The default locations are:
- Windows: C:\Program Files\BMC Software\AtriumCore
- UNIX or Linux: /opt/bmc/AtriumCore
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer.
- In the Install mode panel, select Upgrade, and then click Next.
During upgrade, only existing BMC Atrium Core components are upgraded.
- In the Confirmation panel, review that the database is backed-up and the memory requirement is met. Then click Yes and Next.
- Resolve the errors and warnings, if reported, in the BMC Configuration Check report before proceeding with the upgrade. If you ignore the installer instructions, the installer requires that you acknowledge those errors and warnings by selecting a check box before you proceed with installation or upgrade.
- Review the NE Plugin and Atrium Plugin ports.
- In the Java Information panel, select the JRE path and click Next.
The Run Health Check panel appears. BMC recommends that you run this check.
- Click Next.
The installer validates your inputs in the previous panels, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed.
- Click Install.
A summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the installer log for any errors or warnings. The install logs are available at the following location:
- (Windows) C:\Users_<installUser>_\AppData\Local\Temp\atriumcore_install_log.txt
- (UNIX and Linux) \tmp\atriumcore_install_log.txt
- To exit the BMC Atrium Core installer, click Done.
- Restart the BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
After you upgrade BMC Atrium CMDB
- After you upgrade, check whether a patch or fix has been released in Release notes and notices. When you upgrade the product, you must install the latest service pack and then apply the latest patch (if available). Patches are not full installations and must be applied over the latest full installation (main release or a service pack).
(Staged upgrade only) Immediately after you upgrade BMC Remedy Atrium CMDB on the destination server (production staging server or QA), disable the Reconciliation Engine and the Service Level Management collector in by placing a leading # (hash) on each line:
Restart the AR System server. For instructions, see Starting and stopping the BMC Remedy AR System server.
- (Staged upgrade only) Ensure that the DSO and escalation services are still disabled. For instructions on how to disable these services, see To disable DSO and escalations after you set up a staging system.
Troubleshooting the BMC Atrium Core upgrade
Consult the following topics for information about issues you might encounter during the upgrade:
Where to go from here
If BMC Atrium Core web services is on a different computer, perform the BMC Atrium Core Web Services upgrade after you upgrade BMC Remedy AR System and BMC Atrium CMDB.
|Up to process|
If you have finished upgrading the platform, return to the appropriate upgrade process: