Obtaining BMC Remedy license keys
For a fresh installation of BMC Remedy AR System server or when setting up a new staging system for upgrade, you must obtain a BMC Remedy license key. This topic includes the following sections:
A license key is a value that enables you to activate a license. Each key is tied to a particular host; a unique entry for each server is therefore required within the Add or Remove Licenses form. Multiple BMC Remedy AR System server licenses are distinguished from each other by license keys. For more information about licensing, see in AR System documentation.
If your host ID or an NIC changes, you must request for a license purge and get a new license.
To request a temporary or permanent key, you must access the BMC Support Central Site at .
|Key type||Information required|
To access the self-service generator, you must be active on support and own an active user login account on BMC Support Central. If you do not know your user ID and password for the site, contact for your region. If you purchased your AR System server license through a BMC sales representative or over the web, you can download the product from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) site. Access the EPD site from the BMC Customer Support website at .
License keys required by Remedy AR System versions
For Remedy AR System version 7.1.00 or later, a product license key is only required for the Remedy AR System Server. A valid license from BMC is still required for BMC applications, add-on modules and users, but a product license key is not. You are licensed to use only the capacity that you have purchased pursuant to your license agreement and applicable order.
To request a temporary or permanent license key
- Log on to BMC Support Central at .
- Click Licensing and Password.
- Click Request a New License.
Or click Request a Trial/Temporary Licenses if temporary licenses are needed. Trial licenses are valid for 30 days only.
- Click I Agree.
- Enter the required information for the license; for example, the purchase order number:
- Verify that your available Remedy licensed products and features are related to the Support Contract ID displayed on the form. If the correct Support ID is not displayed, contact BMC Customer Support to help you find your support IDs.
- Select the correct AR System server version. This is required for a valid license key.
Enter the host ID of the AR System server.
To find the Host ID, see to determine the server host ID, depending on your operating system.
Select Product Feature and enter 1 on Quantity Requested from your list of Product Features and Qty remaining available for this Support Contract and PO Number.
Click Request License.
Your license key will be sent to your email address.
You can request only one license key at a time.
To determine the server host ID
Adding and removing licenses in your Remedy AR System server
Procedures for adding and removing licenses vary for Remedy AR System Server versions. For this release, follow the steps given below.
- From your browser, log on to BMC Remedy AR System server.
- From the list of applications on the IT Home page, select AR System Administration > AR System Administration Console.
- In the navigation pane, select System > General> Add or Remove Licenses.
- Select Add New.
- Select AR Server, and then enter the Number of Licenses.
- For server and application licenses, enter 1.
- For user licenses, enter any number greater than 0.
- Add the license key with the dash in the key.
Make sure that you do not leave any leading or trailing spaces.
- Enter the Expiration Date (if the key is temporary) in the same format as mentioned on the key structure.
- Click Save.
A message is displayed that states that your BMC Remedy AR System server is now licensed.
- Add only one license key per application, but add enough user licenses for the various Remedy ITSM applications that you are licensed to use.
- From the list displayed, select the type of license that you want to add. The License Type field is updated with the license type that you selected. Select the number of licenses and enter the license key, if applicable.
- Click Generate License Usage Report to communicate license usage to your support and account representatives.
- In case of an invalid or expired license, you get the following error message:
You have reached the maximum number of database entries permitted with this version of the Action Request System(R).
To purchase the unrestricted version, contact your sales representative. (ARERR 337)