Testing real-time translation for chatbots
Before enabling real-time translation for a chatbot or any other custom application, administrators can quickly test the following aspects of translation:
- Whether a given text is translated correctly.
- When using a non-English locale, whether the chatbot understands the conversation context and is able to provide appropriate responses. To test the localized training data for chatbots, see Testing the chatbot training data to improve predictability.
Before you begin
Enable the real-time translation provider. For more information, see Enabling a real-time translation provider for chatbots.
To test real-time translation
To test real-time translation, you must first create an in-bundle application UI. You then use this new UI to add a sample text and specify the source language and target language for testing.
To create an in-bundle application UI
- Log in to BMC Helix Innovation Studio and navigate to the Workspace tab.
- Select the application in which you want to create the in-bundle application UI.
- Click the Configurations tab.
- Select New > In-bundle Settings.
- In the New In-bundle Settings window, specify the properties as indicated in the following table, and click Save.
Property Description Values Example Component Name Indicates the name of the configuration. Real-time Translation Is View Component Opens a view definition. Not selected Registered Module Name Specifies the unique name of the registered module. real-time-translation Status Provides the status of the configuration. Selected Available in Navigation Sidebar
Makes the configuration UI available as a menu on the BMC Helix Innovation Studio Administration tab.
Selected Component Label Specifies a unique label for the configuration.
The label you provide appears as a setting on the Administration tab.
Translation Testing Show In
Specifies whether you want to show the configuration only in the application, in BMC Helix Innovation Studio, or both.
Both Permissions Defines the permissions associated with the setting.
You can add permissions for a group or a role.
Administrator group First Menu
Defines the first menu that gets displayed on the BMC Helix Innovation Studio Administration tab.
Real-time Translation Second Menu
Defines the second menu that gets displayed on the BMC Helix Innovation Studio Administration tab.
After you create the in-bundle application UI, it is displayed on the Administration tab in the Settings section. The following image displays an example configuration created by using the example values:
To test real-time translation by specifying the source and target language
- Log in to BMC Helix Innovation Studio and navigate to the Administration tab.
- Select the configuration UI that you created earlier.
For example, select Real-time Translation > Translation Testing
On the Translation Testing page, click Interactive Translation and fill out the following fields:
Field Description Source Language Specify the language of the content that you want to be translated. Source Text Type a sample text in the source language for translation. Target Language Specify the language in which you want the text to be translated.
- Click Translate.
The translated text is displayed in the Translation field, as shown in the following example: