When you upgrade a existing version of BladeLogic Portal, you can migrate the existing database and update the portal software using the same installation program.
When you upgrade, you should take all necessary preliminary steps, such as backing up all relevant data.
If you want to perform a silent upgrade, see Performing a silent upgrade of the portal on Windows and Performing a silent upgrade of the portal on Linux.
See the following sections for detailed upgrade instructions:
Before you begin
- Download the installation files needed to install and upgrade BladeLogic Portal.
- Ensure you are performing the upgrade on the same computer where the existing installation of BladeLogic Portal is running.
- Ensure that a Microsoft SQL Server client is installed locally.
Ensure that the BMC Server Automation Application Server is currently running and equipped with version 8.6.
Ensuring a clean portal server
To ensure the portal server is a clean environment with no operations currently running, shut down the portal server and then reboot it.
- Shut down the portal server:
- Restart the portal server.
Backing up portal installation information
A good precaution is to back up information describing the location of the current BladeLogic Portal installation.
Backing up portal installation information in Linux
- Open the /opt/bmc/ProductRegistry.xml configuration file.
- Within that file, search for:
- In the line above, find
In that row,
<PORTAL_HOME>identifies the path to the portal installation.
- Cd to
- Determine a location with sufficient disk space to which you can copy portal information. This procedure calls that location <BMCPortalV1.2_FULLBACKUP>.
- Copy the contents of the portal installation by entering the following command:
find . --depth --print | cpio --dump /<BMCPortalV1.2_FULLBACKUP>
- Copy /opt/bmc/ProductRegistry.xml to <BMCPortalV1.2_FULLBACKUP>.
Backing up portal installation information in Windows
Open the \Windows\ProductRegistry.xml configuration file.
Within that file, search for:
In the line above, find
<productHome><PORTAL_HOME></productHome>.In that row,
identifies the path to the portal installation.
Use any backup tool to make a copy of the
<PORTAL_HOME>directory to <BMCPortalV1.2_FULLBACKUP>.
Copy \Windows\ProductRegistry.xml to <BMCPortalV1.2_FULLBACKUP>.
Backing up the portal database
A database administrator must perform a full backup of the portal database. The administrator should create a backup dataset in case a backout or restore procedure is needed.
Use this procedure to obtain the information needed to access the existing portal database.
- Open <PORTAL_HOME>/foundation/configuration/bmc-config.json.
See Backing up portal installation information to determine the location of <PORTAL_HOME>.
- Within the bmc-config.json file, find the section called foundation_db_service.
It provides the host name, port, user, database name, and database type for the portal database.
Upgrading BladeLogic Portal
Use this procedure to upgrade BladeLogic Portal to version 1.2 and to migrate your existing database to version 1.2.
Copy the installation file to an appropriate location on the computer where you are upgrading the portal.
For Windows, the installation file is called BLPortal12.WIN64.zip.
For Linux, the installation file is called BLPortal13.Lin64.tar.gz.
- Extract the contents of the installation file.
This extraction generates a file structure where the top level directory is named BladeLogicPortal.
Navigate to the installer program and launch it.
Windows: Navigate to \BladeLogicPortal\windows\Disk1, right-click setup.exe, and select Run as Administrator.
Linux: Change (cd) to BladeLogicPortal/linux/Disk1 and enter the command ./setup.bin
For Linux, make sure BladeLogicPortal/linux/Disk1/setup.bin has execute permissions. If necessary, run the following command to grant execute permission on the file:
chmod +x BladeLogicPortal/Disk1/setup.bin
The portal installer program opens.
Select the language you want to use in the installation program and click OK.
- A welcome window opens.
- Click Next.
A window describes the existing portal database that the installer has detected. It asks if you want the installation program to migrate existing portal database.
If you do not want the installer to migrate the database, click Cancel and use the procedure for manually migrating the portal database.
- Select Migrate Portal database and click Next.
A preview window describes the installation to be performed.
- Click Install.
Progress bars show installation activity until the Installation Summary window provides details about the completed installation.
- Click Done.