Mapping Device Type to Chassis Type
The Chassis tab represents the physical elements that enclose other components of a computer system. These components provide defined functionality, such as a desktop, processing node, UPS, disk or tape storage, or a combination of these elements. You can map your devices and other physical elements to correspond to any Chassis type. Under this tab you can find the following sections:
- Chassis Type: a number representing a particular type of chassis.
- Device Type: a drop-down list of available device types that you can map to the corresponding Chassis Type.
- Default Device Type: the initial value of the Device Type under this Chassis Type.
There are some default values that cannot be changed, for example:
- You cannot change the value of the Device Type for virtual machines because they are determined by BMC Client Management (without chassis type).
- You cannot change value of the Device Type for the devices where operating system name contains a server name, because they have the server as a Device Type.
To map a device to a Chassis Type
- Select Global Settings > Financial Asset Management in the left window pane.
- Select the Chassis tab.
- Select a Device Type you want to change.
- In the Properties window, select a value that you want to set from a drop-down list.
- Click OK. A new value is set.
To return to the default value of Device Type, map the value you select with the listed Default Device Type.