Bulk-importing MSI packages
BMC Client Management allows you to import a whole group of MSI files and automatically create the MSI packages. This functionality is available on the browser agent interface and must be executed on the packager device.
To access this page you must log on as an administrator.
To import MSI files proceed as follows:
Enter the the following information into the browser window:
http://<host name>:<console port number>/msiimport
The host name is in this case the name or IP address of the packager device. The msi files that you want to import must also be stored somewhere on this device.
The Import Multiple MSI Files page appears.
- Enter the required information into the following boxes:
Folder Containing MSI Files : Enter into this text the full path to the folder that contains the .msi files to import, for example C:\temp\import\msi
Be aware, that only .msi files located directly under this folder are imported, any files located in subdirectories will be ignored.
- Destination Folder in Console : Enter into this text box the name of the folder and its path relative to the Packages > Package Factory > Your Package Factory > MSI Packages node, into which the automatically created packages are to be saved, for example Import . If the folder does not yet exist it is created.
Publish to Master (after Creation) : Check this box if the packages are to be automatically published to the master, once they are created in the CM database. This means that they are immediately available for package distribution within the CM environment.
The packages will be published in a subdirectory directly under the main Packages node with the same name as that into which they were imported under the package factory, for example, Import .
- Package Compression Format : Under this label select the corresponding radio button to either save the MSI package in the standard .zip format or in the proprietary .pkg format.
- User Interaction Level : Select from this list box to which extent the local user should be implicated in the installation of the msi package when it is sent to the target device.
- Delete MSI After Installation : Check this box to delete the package after it was installed on all targets.
- Click Process to launch the msi import and package creation process.
The browser refreshes and displays the MSI Import Ready to Process page. It displays the number of msi files found in the specified folder.
- If all is correct click Yes to confirm.
The browser displays the Yes page which shows the progress of the import, the overall status of the import in the form of a bar, that changes color and displays the progress as a percentage. The Detailed Status panel of the view shows the list of all msi files found and their current import status.
The import is finished when the bar is completely green and displays 100% and all individual status values for all msi files to import display Success.