Upgrading client agents individually
Installed BMC Client Management client agents can be upgraded from any previous version to the most recent version very easily via a semi-automatic upgrade which is executed through an operational rule.
The upgrade process for agents works as follows for all of the different platforms:
Log on to the console with a super administrator login or equivalent rights.
To upgrade client agents via device groups instead of individually, see Upgrading client agents via device groups.
To upgrade client agents via device groups instead of individually on Linux systems, see Manually upgrading client agents via device groups on Linux systems now.
To upgrade client agents via device groups instead of individually on MAC systems, see Manually upgrading the client agents via device groups on MAC systems now.
One custom package ( .cst ) per .zip file is created in the same location together with its respective operational rule and is placed in a specifically created folder called Client Management Upgrade under the Packages / Operational Rules top nodes.
If you performed previous upgrades, for example, from 6.1.2 to 6.1.3, the operational rules and packages are placed under the previously created folder called, for example, PrecisionUpgrade , NumaraAssetManagementPlatformUpgrade or FootprintsAssetCoreUpgrade . No new folder is created.
- Go to the Operational Rules > Client Management Upgrade node and select the operational rule to upgrade the agents, for example:
- Win32Upgrade / Win32Oneoff for agents on 32-bit Windows devices
- Win64Upgrade / Win64Oneoff for all agents installed on 64-bit Windows systems.
- Linux32Upgrade / Linux32Oneoff for agents on 32-bit Linux devices
- Linux64Upgrade / Linux64Oneoff for all agents installed on 64-bit Linux systems.
- MaxOsXUpgrade or MaxOsXOneoff for agents on any version of MAC operating system.
- Go to the Assigned Objects > Devices node below the selected package.
- Select Edit > Assign Device
A pop-up window appears in which you can define if the operational rule is automatically activated with the default schedule. .
Click Yes .
If you select No here, the operational rule must be specifically activated afterwards.
The Assign to Device pop-up window appears.
- Click the All
The list in the right part of the window now displays all available devices of your infrastructure on which a BMC Client Management agent is installed. button in the left window bar.
- Select all devices of the operating system type that require upgrading from the list, for example,
- all Windows 64-bit devices for the Win64Upgrade rule
- all Linux 64-bit devices for the Linux64Upgrade rule
- all devices with a MAC operating system for the MaxOsXUpgrade rule
- Click OK to confirm the assignment and close the window.
The devices are added to the table of assigned devices with the default timer, which schedules the execution once and immediately.
When the assignment process is finished and the upgrade package has arrived at the targets, the agents are automatically upgraded.
This is the case when the status is green and
Executed is displayed in the Status box for the respective device in the table of all assigned devices.
To verify this go to a device node, either in the Device Topology or in a device group and select the device's General tab.
The attributes Agent Version Major and Agent Version Minor should display the values
0 now. If you are applying a hotfix, the Agent Revision number should have increased by one.