With the default schedule, missing patches are deployed immediately. However, deploying several patches to a number of devices can be resource consuming and might decrease the efficiency of your network. In this case, BMC recommends to execute deployments when the network load is low, that is, at night, during lunch break or on the weekend. For this purpose, BCM provides a scheduler which allows you to define specific times for deployment.
In this example, you define that all patches are assigned to the devices at 1:00 AM. This means that the patches will be downloaded centrally on the Patch Manager and sent as packages to all devices . After the assignment, there should be a time of 5 hours between 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM to extract all patches from the packages on the devices . If all patches cannot be extracted until 6:00 AM, they are not installed. Instead the installation is postponed to the next night between 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM again. This procedure is repeated until all patches are extracted and ready for installation. With this schedule, you ensure that patches are only deployed at night and do not affect the regular working day.
- In the Assignment tab of the Schedule view define when you want the bulletin(s) to be assigned to the respective devices.To assign the bulletin(s), for example, over night, select the Deferred to radio button and select Tomorrow from the first list and
01:00from the second drop-down list.
- Click the Frequency tab and define the time for the deployment of the bulletin(s).To allow deployment between 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM, select 01:00 from the between drop-down list and 06:00 from the and drop-down list in the Frequency group box.
- Click Finish .
The Confirmation dialog box appears.
- Select the Go to Patch Group radio button and click Yes .
The dialog closes and in the right window pane the new patch group opens.
- You can follow progress in the following nodes:
- To view the status of the patches of the patch group, click the Patches tab.
- To view the affected devices and their patch deployment progress, go to Assigned Objects > Devices in the left window pane.